Brew Belt safe while not home?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Mschooley53, Jan 11, 2017.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Mschooley53

Mschooley53 Member

I just bought a Brew Belt because I'm starting to get into winemaking and with my first bath nearing fermentation, I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues with fermentation.

Right now, my primary is a constant 64 degrees (it's been cold in Ohio) but before I pitch the yeast I want to make sure the temp stays in the 70s. Since I work during the days, has anyone had experience with leaving the brew belt on all day unattended? If this seems to be and issue, I can turn it on all night while I am home and then before I leave for work just insulate with a blanket. Thoughts?

Elizajean and bkisel like this.
  2. Elizajean

Elizajean Gaining experience one carboy at a time.... Supporting Member

I am wondering the same thing. I have been moving a temperature recorder all around the house and basement, and all temps are low. I was wondering about draping a heating lap blanket over the fermenter, since technically you can have it on your lap for hours. I do have one heating belt and I thought they were ok to leave unattended.

3. bkisel

bkisel Junior Member

I've done it many times but must admit that I've never felt really comfortable leaving it unattended for long periods of time. I think my instructions said not to leave plugged in for more than nine days and to not cover it with anything.

4. jburtner

jburtner Junior Member

I left mine on for a complete ferment. A week or two? I went to use it again and it no longer works so I'm using a heating pad for now - which I have also had on for weeks straight.

Might do the controller and lightbulb / box thing to get a little better setup going for winter wine work.

Cheers!
    -jb

5. Mschooley53

Mschooley53 Member

I've had mine plugged in for an hour or so and I will say, it doesn't get very hot to the touch so I'll leave it on for the night and see what it's like in the morning. I can't imagine it is much more unsafe that any other electrical appliance since it draws such low power. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow while I'm at work

6. TXWineDuo

TXWineDuo Junior Member

7. bstnh1

bstnh1 Senior Member

I leave mine plugged in whether I'm home or not. It's only 15 watts and barely warm to the touch. I have it plugged into a GFI protected outlet, so I don't see much to worry about.

8. Reign

Reign Junior

Mine was too hot, so I wrapped a towel a couple of times around the pail and then used the heat belt. Kept it at 72 F.

9. bstnh1

bstnh1 Senior Member

I have the Brewers Best Brew Belt, the wide one, and it gets just slightly warm. It raises the temp of the must about 10° in a cellar that's in the mid 50s.

10. pete1325

pete1325 Senior Member

I think even at 64 degrees you should be fine. Check the temp range on the yeast you pitched, it should have a range on it. My basement was around 64-65 when I pitched last Friday and all is going well with the ferment.