Brew Belt safe while not home?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Mschooley53, Jan 11, 2017.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1

Mschooley53

Mschooley53

Mschooley53

I just bought a Brew Belt because I'm starting to get into winemaking and with my first bath nearing fermentation, I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues with fermentation.

Right now, my primary is a constant 64 degrees (it's been cold in Ohio) but before I pitch the yeast I want to make sure the temp stays in the 70s. Since I work during the days, has anyone had experience with leaving the brew belt on all day unattended? If this seems to be and issue, I can turn it on all night while I am home and then before I leave for work just insulate with a blanket. Thoughts?

Elizajean and bkisel like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2017 #2

Elizajean

Elizajean

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time.... Supporting Member

I am wondering the same thing. I have been moving a temperature recorder all around the house and basement, and all temps are low. I was wondering about draping a heating lap blanket over the fermenter, since technically you can have it on your lap for hours. I do have one heating belt and I thought they were ok to leave unattended.

3. Jan 11, 2017 #3

bkisel

bkisel

bkisel

I've done it many times but must admit that I've never felt really comfortable leaving it unattended for long periods of time. I think my instructions said not to leave plugged in for more than nine days and to not cover it with anything.

4. Jan 11, 2017 #4

jburtner

jburtner

jburtner

I left mine on for a complete ferment. A week or two? I went to use it again and it no longer works so I'm using a heating pad for now - which I have also had on for weeks straight.

Might do the controller and lightbulb / box thing to get a little better setup going for winter wine work.

Cheers!
    -jb

5. Jan 11, 2017 #5

Mschooley53

Mschooley53

Mschooley53

I've had mine plugged in for an hour or so and I will say, it doesn't get very hot to the touch so I'll leave it on for the night and see what it's like in the morning. I can't imagine it is much more unsafe that any other electrical appliance since it draws such low power. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow while I'm at work

6. Jan 11, 2017 #6

TXWineDuo

TXWineDuo

TXWineDuo

7. May 16, 2018 #7

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

I leave mine plugged in whether I'm home or not. It's only 15 watts and barely warm to the touch. I have it plugged into a GFI protected outlet, so I don't see much to worry about.

8. May 22, 2018 #8

Reign

Reign

Reign

Junior

Mine was too hot, so I wrapped a towel a couple of times around the pail and then used the heat belt. Kept it at 72 F.

9. May 22, 2018 #9

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

I have the Brewers Best Brew Belt, the wide one, and it gets just slightly warm. It raises the temp of the must about 10° in a cellar that's in the mid 50s.

10. May 22, 2018 #10

pete1325

pete1325

pete1325

I think even at 64 degrees you should be fine. Check the temp range on the yeast you pitched, it should have a range on it. My basement was around 64-65 when I pitched last Friday and all is going well with the ferment.