Brew belt went POP!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Starting a batch of DB.
Plugged in my brew belt into a power strip, which had a lamp and AIO plugged into same strip.
Neither the lamp for the AIO were on.
As soon as I plugged the brew belt in the powerstrip through Sparks at me and the circuit box clicked off. The circuit box happens to be 1 inch away from the outlet itself.
I then unplugged the power strip and went to plug-in The brew belt . my thinking was is that it's an old power strip it may have been an issue with the power strip itself.
Once the brew belt was plugged into the outlet I got the same result. The outlet through Sparks circuit breaker clicked off.
I am avoiding plugging this in the third time as I have learned from electrocuting myself twice.
I noticed the end of the plug of the brew belt were singed I don't know how that would've occurred but the inside of the power strip had the same thing,
So I am unaware if the problem started initially with the brew belt and caused the strip to burn or it was the strip the cause the brew belt plug to burn.
However I am now without a brew belt & and I stole the heat patch from my hermit crabs aquarium.

Is there anyone out there was any electrical knowledge that can guide me in a way to fix the brew belt.

Is it worth it to cut it and put a new plug at the end or do I just go buy a new brewer belt ?

What could've caused this problem to begin with?
ImageUploadedByWine Making1395600500.611882.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1395600514.159908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It obviously has a short somewhere. The spark caused the plug and powerstrip to melt.

You have to check your brew belt and find out where the wires are shorting. If you can't find it you'll have to replace it.

Thanks for info.
I am not going to use that specific outlet of the powerstrip.

I think I will just replace the brew belt.

My electrician skills are Severly lacking and I will not need the belt for another few months !

Thanks for info.
I am not going to use that specific outlet of the powerstrip.

I think I will just replace the brew belt.

My electrician skills are Severly lacking and I will not need the belt for another few months !

There is almost certainly nothing wrong with that outlet in the powerstrip. I wouldn't take any pains to avoid it. Greg, of course, is correct: you have a dead short somewhere in your brewbelt.

most likely it is definitely in the belt itself - considering what makes heat is a high resistance within the belt - well you have a dead short - time for a new one

most likely it is definitely in the belt itself - considering what makes heat is a high resistance within the belt - well you have a dead short - time for a new one

That would be very low or no resistance in the belt Steve. The heating element in the belt is shorted.
Edit- sorry, that's correct Steve- what produces heat is resistance in the heating element of the belt, but his problem is no resistance.

Last edited:
This is my temporary replacement.
Not the best but has kept my DB at 63 degrees and fermenting I a chill basement.
Best I can do until payday and I can purchase a replacement!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1395749217.391164.jpg

Latest posts

Back