Brew Belt on BB Carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy419

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Quick question: Any issues with using a brew belt on a BB carboy? (I saw some threads about using them on glass carboys, but I am wondering if the plastic will be OK) I need to degas, but the must is only around 72º -- I thought I could warm it up using a belt -- should fit OK as it is a 6 gal carboy (I tried before on a 5 gal, but the belt was too loose).

(WE Calif Pinot Noir kit if that matters)

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
I'd think you'd be OK. The liquid on the inside of the carboy should keep the plastic from warming to the point of damage. I don't have any BB's, so take my advice for what it's worth. In addition, I'd leave it in the 5 gallon if possible. Even if this meant loosely fitting the brewbelt around the carboy and then wrapping a couple towels or blankets around it in order to keep the belt in position. The blankets would also likely shorten the time it takes to bring your wine up to your target degassing temp.

I've used the brew belt all of last winter on my plastic Better Bottles. I had no issue with the plastic overheating, changing color, becoming deformed. The wine and the bottle came out perfect. Will be picking up another brew belt this fall.

Dont own a BB but Ive been using them on glass carboys for 9 years and also on my primaries with no problems at all.

I use a brew belt on my Better Bottles and on my glass carboys. I have never had a problem or concern about doing so.

Back