Brew Belt Moderator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
Each time I used my brew belt on the primary fermenter, I noticed that it would take the temperature right up to 80 degrees. Since most kits note that the mid 70-degree F range is preferred, I was thinking of easy ways to modify this. Some people use a tub of water or figure-8 wrap the Brew Belt around, but my wine making bench doesn't have room for this without taking the whole space. I had pondered putting in a rheostat (fancy electrical word for a dial or dimmer switch, really) to tone down the amount of juice coursing through the Brew Belt and thereby reducing the heat output.

However, in a moment of clarity, I thought of something a little more simple. I had been trimming edges of a rubber floor that I was putting down in my fitness studio area and had some small scraps. In an epiphany, I thought to myself, "Self, why not use some kind of insulator between the primary and Brew Belt - something that wouldn't run the risk of melting or decomposing?" So, I grabbed some of these 3/8" thick revulcanized rubber scraps and slipped them in between the primary and the Brew Belt. Behold (image follows)...

20080627_083117_picresized_th_1.jpg

After playing with the position and number of rubber shims, I was able to get the temperature modified from the 80 degree F range to a 75-77 degree F range. While the picture shows a small amount of the belt touching, this is what I have noticed:

a) There is no heat transfer through the rubber, as its insulative capacity supersedes the amount of heat put out by the belt.
b) While the Brew Belt may not touch the primary directly, because there is no direct air blowing on the primary, it seems to heat the air between the belt and the primary enough to actually impart heat into the fermenter regardless.
c) Because the shims are rubber, they 'stick' with friction to both the belt and the primary without having to worry about the whole arrangement slipping down the side of the fermenter.

End result - more control of the temperature range of the Brew Belt without increased fire risk or the need for electrical work. I imagine that rubber doorstops or 'furniture feet stands' would work the same way.

- Jim

Great idea but is it still that cold in Illinois to need a Brew Belt?
smiley36.gif
Also, when you checked those temps was it during a fermentation or was the fermenter just filled with water? Fermentation will up the temp a good 5 degrees or more during active fermentation. The ambient temp of my fermentation area (bedroom) is 64-65 degrees. I just fermented a dry stout a while back and even in that ambient temp the fermentation (liquid) temp was 72 degrees in my stainless steel conical. Of course different yeasts are respondent to different temps so that may play into effect as well. Nice thinking though as in the deep winter this modwould come in handy

Jim, i used a handfull of 3/8" dowel rods, but if you moved any thing, it was pick-up sticks
smiley5.gif
. like your idea better. still think i'll try a dimmer switch here this comming winter, should work ok, those belts are 40 watts, not much draw.
JC

smurfe said:
Great idea but is it still that cold in Illinois to need a Brew Belt?
smiley36.gif
Also, when you checked those temps was it during a fermentation or was the fermenter just filled with water?

I use the Brew Belt a lot during the start of a fermentation to make sure the temperature stays in the right range. My basement runs around 65 degrees and it's just become a habit to boost the temps up front and then let the fermentation run by itself. I haven't tested it with just water - just the must after starting and then watching the boost for the active fermentation. I'll turn the belt off once it gets underway. :)

- Jim

Maybe I've been doing it wrong but I just slide my belt higher up on the primary (just under the bottom "Beer" line) and it keeps the must temp at 72. Or maybe my belts don't get as warm as they should?

Thats what I do also Joan although I do like the part about the friction holding it there better.

Back