Other Brehm's frozen juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Drunken Friar Cellars
Reaction score
Not a kit, but I didn't see anywhere else to post the topic.

I ordered a Brehm's frozen juice pail last summer (prepaid) and it finally arrived this week. This being my first attempt at fresh juice, I decided to order a white variety. Brehm's whites are 5.25 gallons of pure juice while the reds are crushed grapes and, while the pail prices are similar, it takes two pails of reds to make the same amount of wine. These are very high quality products from select vineyards and that explains the price.

I ordered a 2007 Columbia Valley, WA Gewurztraminer. The pails have a label on the side showing the brix, PH, and TA and recommend approximate tartaric acid additions and a yeast style.

My pail was unloaded, along with a few pallets of other pails, from the reefer trailer, still at 0F. The trucking company I work for picked up the pail and shipped it 200 miles to my work location that same afternoon. I allowed the pail to thaw for 24 hours. By that time it was 95% juice with a large chunk of ice left floating. I tore the sealed plastic ring on the 6 gallon pail and dumped it in the primary. The next morning it was completely thawed but still cold and I added 1/4t of k-meta. The SG was 1.092. I arrived home for lunch seven hours later and pitched two packets of Lallemand 58W3 yeast and by that afternoon (yesterday) it was fermenting.

I've heard some very good things about this wine but it isn't cheap. I paid $175, delivered to Omaha. Anyone else have any experience with Brehm's products?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/motorcarrier/100_1583.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/motorcarrier/100_1585.jpg

Edited by: Rule G

I haven't made any of those Rule but always hear they are very good. There have only been a few cases of varietals being somewhat disappointing. They offer very good quality and folks like the wine from them. I hope yours turns out to your expectations and liking
smiley20.gif

Keep the pictures of it's progress coming.

I haven't tried them but have heard very good things about them. The only reason I haven't is I figure the cost of shipping to my house in TN would make it very expensive. $175 doesn't sound too bad considering the cost of the high end kits but I don't think I could get one at that price delivered to my house.

He has some botrytised Sauvignon Blanc that I want to get. Joseph and I want to try to make a Sauternes. Joseph has the yeast, I just need to find time to order the juice.
Brehm is some really good stuff, if you can afford the shipping and want the added work.

Bonnie Joy said:
Rule - How did your Brehm Gewurztraminer wine turn out?

The Brehm's Gewutztraminer is resting nicely in the wine cellar. It fermented perfectly without any hint of off-odors. I racked it and put it in a storage room inside my garage to cold stabilize for almost three weeks where the temps ranged from 28-34F. It's just beginning to start clearing and I'll continue bulk aging for at least a few more months.

Edited by: Rule G

Thanks for confirming Brehm's quality George. I've been eyeing the botrytised juices too. I hope you post a thread with photos if you make a batch of Sauternes.

I've been thinking of getting some Malbec to blend with a batch of Zin I made from hot pressed juice last fall. Hoping to deepen the color, add more complexity, and round out the mouthfeel.

Petite Sirah is oftenblended with with Zin. Does anyone have any opinions or experience withblendingMalbec & Zin?

Bonnie

So did you spill any samples of the Gewurz. you could taste yet :)

If you need any help with that, just give mea holler
smiley1.gif

Bonnie, believe it or not I haven't had a single sip yet of the Gewurztraminer. I did everything by the numbers on this wine and it smelled fantastic during the entire fermentation process and I have no reason to believe it won't taste just as wonderful in a few months. Despite my wife's assertion that I have "no pacientia", I'll let it bulk age for awhile.

Good wine has a bad habit of disappearing far too quickly. Last night I hosted a monthly meeting of our local brew club (I'm the resident wine and mead guy) and we drank the last of two bottles of my Northern Lights pyment. This mead took a gold medal at this year's International Mead Festival in Boulder and if I drink the last bottle with anyone but my lovely wife I'll be a dead man! I only wish I hadn't squandered it by drinking most of it before it reached its peak.

Well, you must have at least some "pacientia"!!!! I've read that mead takes at leasta year of maturity beforeit's approachable. Gold Medal. Wow I'm really impressed. Have you got more started?
When you get around to trying the Gewurz. please do share with us your impressions of it.

I bought abottle ofMalbec tonight. Gonna do a little sample blending with my Zin this weekend to test out thetheory.

Yes, I have another pyment bulk aging and there are a few more bottles of a nicely oaked dry Zinfandel pyment left in the cellar. I love Zin and I'll bet the Malbec will do well with it.

I'll keep you updated on the Brehm's when I try it in a few months.

George,

Have you given anymore thought into a 'bulk' order of the botrytised grapes for 'sauternes'? If so, I'd love to be included!

Thanks!
Frank
denton, texas

Edited by: ntx_man

Latest posts

Back