Mosti Mondiale Bottling Day For MM Renaissance Rio Grande Rojo!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well Waldo inspired me to "Get Er Done" this week so here we go. This was another MM Renaissance kit and was recommended highly by Obi Wan Cornelius. Have to say he was right on once again. Bulk aged for almost 7 months. I did not deviate from the instructions. Did a free sulfite test just before filtering and it turned out ~ 28 ppm. Added another 1/4 tsp to top off and bring it up to bottling levels. Bottled a couple of splits as well to open first down the road.

So how does it taste? In short, wonderful. It needs another 6 months (or more) as it still tastes a little green but it has really changed since I tasted it first at 3 months.Its hard to describe the flavor. Big, intense, spicy, full bodied, nicely balanced. The kit came with 180gms of oak chips. About the only thing I may have changed is an once or two more of oak. The tannins are already softer than a comparable Chilean wine Concha Y Toro Casillero del Diablo.

Pictures after the break as they say!

20100504_224105_DSC02563.jpg

20100504_224122_DSC02566.jpg

20100504_224140_DSC02567.jpg

20100504_224156_DSC02570.jpg

20100504_224211_DSC02571.jpg

20100504_225431_DSC02569.jpg

Nice and I love that label. If this is anything close to MMs All Juice Masters Rojo Encantando with Raisins that I made a couple of years ago you will certainly enjoy this in about a year.
Well done.

You did it again! You are going to have lots of wine to drink down the road.

The pipeline is being filled as they say.

At least I will have lots (and lots) of selection to choose from someday..........
smiley36.gif

One interesting note is that I actually have not one BUT two, count them two empty carboys and nothing to put into them!
smiley32.gif

My SWMBO is amazed when I tell her I have nothing on deck or on order.

Mike,

You are right you will have lots of selection. Selection is the key for me. I think it will be cool to one day go to the old wine cellar (basement) and have several really nice wine from which to select. "Let's see, do I want red or white?" "White; OK, which of the 4 or 5 delicious whites do I choose from today?"

Sure beats box wine!!!

Empty carboys? Sounds to me like time to experiment - Skeeter Pee!!!

Are you going to try fresh grapes this Fall? I am really looking forward to trying some.

If I can source some locally down south in Demming, NM I would love to give it a go. I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg (shipping) for it if I can get out of it!

DancerMan said:
Are you going to try fresh grapes this Fall?  I am really looking forward to trying some.

Mike,
Our wine club and others in the area will be ordering a truck load of several types of grapes in August for delivery in the Fall. I'll bet we could accommodate you, if you would make the drive up here to destem, crush and carry back home.

Problem is, later when stage one of primary fermentation is done, you would have to have access to a press. That would require a second trip up here or local access to a press there in NM. Driving back here to press would not be practical at all.

I'll at least let you know when it's time to order in August.

Please do!

I for sure want to know the prices you guys are getting.

I will see about either renting or borrowing a press. There is actually a Winery/Distillery 2 miles down the road from my house. Don Quixote

He is making boutique Blue Corn Vodka, Grappa as well as some wine. I am sure he is sourcing his grapes from Deming also soooooo I need to become a friend for sure this Summer!
smiley36.gif

Looks so good, I am about ready to bottle mine as well. The only difference is I got the Meg not the Ren. Did you try some at bottling?

Update on this one.

Have had 2 bottles in the last month now. This is pretty amazing stuff considering it did not have a grape pack! Loads of dark fruits and more pepper spice than an old vine zin! Drinking wonderfully and its only 17 months old.

I would make again and more than likely toss in a CC Cabernet grape pack.
smiley20.gif

Back