Bottling and storing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Junior
Reaction score
A few questions about bottling and storing...

1) I may want to bottle some wine in beer bottles since some times I don't finish a bottle of wine in a few nights. Since there is no cork and the cap has an O2 barrier, I can store these upright, correct?

2) When using wine bottles (with corks) what is the best way to store the wine after it has been opened and how long will the wine usually last? I do have one of those hand pumps but it doesn't really seem to do much besides keep the "cork" in place.

I would rather bottle in wine bottles more for the tradition of it and because who doesn't like uncorking a bottle of their own wine lol but sometimes I may open a bottle of wine and have a glass or two with dinner but then won't have any for another day or two or even longer. So if I bottle in a 12oz beer bottle, I can have two glasses and not have 2 left that I may or may not drink. If I bottled in all beer bottles, it would save me the cost of a floor corker and caps are cheaper.

I could do 375 ml bottles and not use beer bottles which is fine if I buy a corker. If I wanted to save money I could bottle it all in beer bottles. Though I will probably just buy a corker and use 750 and 375 bottles lol

So my two questions, when bottling in beer bottles is it ok to stand up AND what is the best way to store an open bottle of wine?

1) beer bottles upright should be OK. I haven't stored wine for very long in a beer bottle, so I can't be certain

2) I use the Vacu Vin stoppers and pump, and have saved the wine for much longer than a couple of days.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Do you store it in the fridge or just in a place that doesn't get light?

Latest posts

Back