Bottling ? Air in lines and splashing or filling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandJ

Junior
Reaction score
On Splashing the wine in the bottle: We made a bottle filler with a beer tap device that our wine club showed us and it was great for bottle filling. Fine control and easy to use. However, with every new device, new choices show up. Before we just pressed the bottling wand down onthe bottom of the bottle and it filled from bottom up. Now we have two choices, bottom up as before, or letting the wine splash in from the top of the bottle.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Seems that there could be advantageous in splashing in from the top – doesn’t a splash typically free trapped CO2 and help degas? And doesn’t a splash change the so2 level lower by some 5-10 ppm?

Any thoughts on whether these questions and results are accurate?

But does a splash down oxidize the wine?

Also, I've noticed sometimes that we have little bubble trails in the hose while bottling -- is this also an oxidation problem? Do we really have to work hard to get the bubbles out?

In this particular Mosti Mondiale kit, I did 1/2 with splashing and half without. It's been degassed nicely, bulk aged 90 days, and i'm hoping I didn't really screw up. Free SO2 levels have been measured and are at 56ppm, wit pH of 3.4, well above the requirement on .5 molar of 20ppm.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back