Bottling after bulk aging and bottle shock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am new to this and with a view to keeping my mouth away from my newly made treasures I have decided to bulk age in Carbouys as a safety net!

I have heard of bottle shock and read about it and just when wondered does this still occur after being bulk aged. I assume it does?

If so is it a case of bottling and then leaving for even more time or is is generally good to drink straight away?

I had never heard of it. From my quick reading, this might be a concern for a bottle aged over 10 years. How old is your wine?

Bottle shock generally happens right after you put it into a bottle. It can dissipate in as little as a month, but I generally wait at least three months before sampling anything I bottle.

It can also happen if you let your wine age for a bit and then transport it somewhere to drink it. Oh and all the evidence for this phenomenon is more anecdotal than scientific, but most winemakers have experienced it at least once.

It takes a good month to go away, longer is better. Like just about everything to do with wine.

Latest posts

Back