Bottling accident, wine everywhere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk4422

Reaction score
I had a case of bottles delivered to the house and 1 bottle was broken on arrival. This must have been a second bottle with unnoticed damage.:ts

Full bottle, in the floor corker - just as I pressed the lever the bottle broke... Wine everywhere, I could do nothing but laugh.

I think I'll quit slamming the corker lever down so hard. And maybe I'll put it in a tub.

I had a case of bottles delivered to the house and 1 bottle was broken on arrival. This must have been a second bottle with unnoticed damage.:ts

Full bottle, in the floor corker - just as I pressed the lever the bottle broke... Wine everywhere, I could do nothing but laugh.

Adam this is not unheard of. This happens to us periodically at the winery and it must just be a flaw in the bottle. If the neck broke or chipped I would be looking at the corker but having the sidewall blow out is something else.

Yep, I have seen it happen at our family winery as well. Push the corker button and boom goes the bottle. Since then, we have stopped holding the bottle while the cork gets inserted. Thankfully, it would seem you were using a floor corker. Good think you weren't hurt from the looks of it too!

This happened to me with a recycled bottle a few months ago, but I don't think it was the bottle's fault. I think I filled the bottle too full - be sure to check your levels. FWIW, a cleaning solution of OxyClean did a pretty nice job of getting the red wine out of my beige carpet.

Now I only bottle on non-carpeted floors - should have thought of that earlier....

I've never had this happen with wine but I just had a large flip top beer bottle have its bottom blow off 2 days after carbonating. The corresponding element to this story is that this batch of bottles arrived with 2 bottles broken, having obviously been handled roughly. I never thought to closely check all the remaining bottles. Lesson Learned :)

Oh yes, the kicker to this is that I was bottling in the kitchen eating area, over a rug that sits on-top of the hardwood floors. The rug was soaked through and the floor had wine all over it. We cleaned it fast and it didn't stain the floor, thankfully. The rug is like a sea grass or thistle material and it didn't stain either. We got luck on this. I agree with GaryMC on the tub for the future.

"All's well that ends well." Glad you weren't hurt and was able to get it all cleaned up.

Latest posts

Back