Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_dicken

Junior
Reaction score
Is a particular type of bottle better for a particular type of wine? I am on my firstwine making venture and I have several old bottles of wine, of course they are of allcolors and shapes. I will as well need topurchase others, don't think it is a good idea for my wife and I to "process" the amount of bottleswe will still need in the comming days. We will be bottling a Reisling is there a type we should use or a universal type that will be best for this and future use? Thanks in advance.

The best bottles you can get are ones that don't leak
smiley4.gif

Seiously for home use, use whatever you have. Reds generally are in darker bottles to keep the light off so they don't change colors after a year or two.

We like free recycled bottles....

I have bought some used bottles from a winery because I wanted some flint/clear Claret bottles for a particular batch that had a beautiful color I wanted to 'show off'.

It as well appears that most folks suggest a #9 cork, will those work for all bottles? If I use a hand corker will any of the bottle take a cork better? I try to work smarter not harder whenever possible!

We have a Gilda hand corker and use #8X1¾" corks....have wine 3 years old with no problems. We can not cork flange top bottles, had some trouble with the #9's going in.....other than that no complaints.

Most people have a floor corker and use #9X1¾" corks and frown on us poor folk with hand corkers.

I am not ready to invest in a floor corker so I will try what we have and see how it goes, may have to try the 8's. Thanks for the advise Wino. I prefer to think of myself as frugal, not poor. Helps me enjoy my drink...

Mr Dicken,

I have co-workers who donate wine bottles and they get a couple of bottles of my wine in return. I have only bought 1 case of the clear bottles for my white wine and the dark ones are for the reds.

George has a sale on the frosted hock bottles that are nice for a Port wine. 375ml bottle.

And I use the 8 3/4 cork which work great with my portegeuse hand corker.
smiley36.gif

Do not cork screw tops. The necks are not strong enough.

Latest posts

Back