Bottles Green, Clear and mildew

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a home depot close, go to the isle that has the cleaning stuff, mops,brooms, etc...They have a bottle brush there that will easily bend to any shape you want, its about 30 inches long...fits in bottles and carboys.

I do soak them in Oxyclean the little spot of mildew still stays unless I get something on there and remove it

Last edited:
hum...push a brillo pad in the bottle...attach a rod to drill, push to the brillo
pad, clean...pull brillo pad before bottling.

Some people put sand and ammonia water in the bottles and shake to clean the inside if bottles. Then the bottles just have to be rinsed well.

Some people put sand and ammonia water in the bottles and shake to clean the inside if bottles. Then the bottles just have to be rinsed well.

I haven't heard of that, but with a yard full of sand, it makes perfect sense.Thanks for the great tip!
I will probably use Oxyclean instead of ammonia though. It's a mildew killer. Also works like a dream on red wine stains.
(not a paid company spokesman)

Im cleaning mine as I use them from now on. I washed 5 cases yesterday and my counters look soooo nice lol. What do you do with the sand after?

When you empty a bottle, rinse it out and drain it. Problem solved. :) My bottle tree always has bottles on it.

Back