Bottles and barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Hi all -

Well we scored on some bottles and barrels. Found some excess glass bottles at a small winery in Paso Robles, Ca and made a good deal and ended up with 147 cases. Then headed down to Quality Barrel Co. in Santa Maria, Ca to get some barrels. This place is amazing - barrels and racks everywhere. They ship thousands of certified barrels all over the country. And, their prices are great. We paid $39 each for neutral french oak and $45 each for 2004 french oak. If anybody interested their web address is: www.qualitywinebarres.com. Check them out. Anyway, here we are getting our stuff.

Rocky Creek Winery
20100129_103608_bottles_and_bar.jpg

Getting our bottles

20100129_104054_bottles_and_bar.jpg

John's tasting room - 20x30 and he milled the lumber and made all the cabinets and counters too!

20100129_104425_bottles_and_bar.jpg

Barrels - barrels - barrels everywhere - almost as far as the eye can see.
The closest barrels are 120 gallon double size.

20100129_104708_bottles_and_bar.jpg

racks - racks - racks

20100129_105731_bottles_and_bar.jpg

loaded up and heading out.
20100129_105935_bottles_and_bar.jpg

Usually Steve, Joe and I share in these finds and split all the costs. I ended up with 2 barrels - Joe 2 and Steve 1.

This was a 12 hour day but we had a great time.

My 2 barrels will be filled next week after my little barrel room gets done. I'll post pictures of that later.

rrawhide

by the way, we were able to hand pick the barrels - looked inside - smelled and checked all over. They also ozoned gassed the barrels and we bung'd 'em. They will stay this way until we fill with water and check for leaks. If there any tiny leaks we will plug with a wooden toothpick.

Wow! I have poked around their website before. Very nice price for sure. I have been out in Los Angeles all week on travel. Would love to take one back with me but I think even SWA would squawk!

I have been trying to secure a source on used barrels. I think I have spoken to almost every winery on the Colorado West slope, which is the Wine Country for Colorado. They are so proud of a 3 year old barrel you can almost buy new. I just spoke to Cindy at Quality Barrels and got a freight rate on 6 to a pallet. Great people. Hey mike if you would like one could meet you in Raton. Rrawhide, thanks for the link.

You sure do live near a lot of the good stuff! That should give you enough bottles for a while. I wish we could get barrels that cheap here, that's almost as cheap as plastic barrels and definitely cheaper than flextanks. I will need to file that source away for future reference!

Latest posts

Back