Bottle Types

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottle mine in those bottles with straight sides so the don't slide off one another. Have no idea what they are called and could not care less.

Labels are made with a roll of masking tape and fine point magic marker.

Other than tasting a small amount to determine when to bottle I give it all away.

Get good comments on my wines, most recently from another wine make who teaches wine making.

His comment, Superb.

Seems most people don't really give a hoot about the bottle or labels.

The bottles with high shoulders and straight sides are known as Bordeaux bottles. Just found this graphic online which is pretty informative:

Wine-Lesson.jpg

But again, I just use whatever bottles I have on hand, using clear and blue bottles for whites and rosés, and brown or green for reds. I use dead leaf colored bottles for either whites or reds. And it's not unusual for me to mix different types of bottles for a single batch.

A simple way to check the quality of a bottle is to weigh it. Super Premiums weigh more than Premiums which weigh more than light weights.
I make wine in small commercial quantities and I can tell you some winemakers go overboard on bottle quality. Just remember all that time and trouble you go to to get the "best" bottle that looks the "best" and is "just right" will mean nothing within 3 months when the wine is consumed and that "perfect" bottle is in the rubbish/recycling centre and the wine consumer will not even remember what type of bottle it was.

Life's to short to drink bad wine

Wine bottles in the trash? Blasphemy! I always save them and so do most of the people I give wine to. My motto is no returns, no refills.

I pick up empties from my wine store after they have tastings. Most recently, there were Asti Supumonte and sparkling wine bottles. Can these be used to hold regular wine? It looks like they are the same cork size, but these bottles usually have wires or in one case twine holding the cork in place. It seems like normal corks would work in them though. Has anyone recorked these types of bottles?

Back