Bottle sources

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to bottle some of my wine in 750 mL punted amber corkable bottles. Anyone know a source for these? I can find flat bottom bottles but prefer a punted bottom. TIA

Thank you, I did of course search those places and others before posting here. I can not seem to find what I'm looking for as descrined in my original post. I can find flat bottom amber corkable bottles but not ones with a punt.

I was tempted to make a smart-ass reply like "Did you try the interwebs?". Then I did a little search myself and it seems they are pretty scarce. I did find these though.
https://www.upc-bottles.com/balto-0572-ag/Not your run of the mill bottle but it is amber with cork finish and punted. Actually a pretty nice bottle and not overly expensive. I did not pursue it to see what it would take to purchase them. Could not tell you the last time I bought bottles.

Thank you folks, my research is now making me question whether I truly need a punted bottle. I've preferred them becvause it is traditional but from what I've read they lend no real advantage but is a vestige from when all bottles were hand blown. Those Balto bottles do look pretty nice.

I like the punted bottom as a personal preference. I feel like it makes for a heavier bottom and therefore more stable. Just better quality overall. Plus, in the movies the waiter puts his thumb in there when pouring.
It could be a bias of mine I need to study in more depth. I think I'll study some tonight.

I saw those dead leaf on labelpeelers, I'm looking for a true amber, closer to or just like beer bottles. I prefer a Bordeaux style but not wedded to that. I want to get 12 cases or so of them to start

I saw those dead leaf bottles on labelpeelers, I'm hoping to find an amber more like a beer bottle shade.
I'd prefer Bordeaux style, I've found flat bottom Hock style, iirc, might have to settle for those.
I'm looking for 12 cases or so to start

I have been on a similar journey. I was focused on finding my preferred bottle colors (Amber Bordeaux for most wines, Dead Leaf Burgundy for pear wine). But then I realized that for my darker colored wines (blueberry, cherry, etc.) the bottle color does not matter. Once they are filled with wine, you can't tell whether they are amber or green. I still prefer clear Bordeaux for some of my meads to show off the beautiful color.

I want amber not for every bottle of wine but some out of each batch to ensure 100%, or as close as possible to 100% UV light blockage.

Do amber bottles block UV better than green ones? I guess it makes sense that some colors would block UV better than others.

For me that does not matter, because I store my bottled wine in the boxes. Especially my mead bottled in clear bottles.

I like the punted bottom as a personal preference. I feel like it makes for a heavier bottom and therefore more stable. Just better quality overall. Plus, in the movies the waiter puts his thumb in there when pouring.
It could be a bias of mine I need to study in more depth. I think I'll study some tonight.
You're never too old to learn, Old Corker. :)

Back