Bottle now??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbee

Reaction score
I have 2 reisling batches that was started in 03/07 that have been bulk aging. (MM All juice and Select Estate) Due to sickness and surgery I have not been permitted by SWMBO to lift the carboys, so I have not even thought of bottling until now. The question is I have family coming in for Thanksgiving and wonder if I want them to taste the wine wouldI be wiser not to bottle now for fear of "bottle shock" and just siphon off a cafafe or two (or 3,4,5...) and bottle the remainder as soon as they leave. Or bottle just before they arrive??

I went to a party last month where the host expected much wine to be consumed....He siphoned out of the carboy into pitchers...they were to bottle the next day. The carboys were much lighter the next day.

I have found that if you drink it the same day it is taken off and later bottled it is usually pretty good. Once it is in the bottle though, then I want a couple months minimum before trying another. I say have some on Thanksgiving and try to get somebody to stay the next day and help you bottle. When you are done bottling he/she would be very grateful to get a bottle or two for their troubles.

Back