WineXpert Bottle Now or Rack off Sediment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
My first batch of WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Noir is ready to bottle per the instructions with the kit, however there is a fair amount of sediment on the bottom of the carboy (about 1-1/2 inches). I thought the clarification / stabilization stage was suppose to cut down on the sediment, but I guess that's another incorrectnewbie assumption.

Would I benefitfrom racking to another carboy and letting it sit for another few weeks? I'm concerned about sucking it up during bottling and "mudding" my first batch. I figure theadditional rack could only help. Is it correct to assume after therack and more time in the carboy I'll get less sediment to worry about during bottling?

The starter kit I bought from George has an auto siphon with the sediment tip, if that helps any in your suggestions.

Secondly, it seems that racking to the primary and using the spigot would be the easiest approach for bottling. Is theremore of arisk of oxygen spoiling the wine or is the exposure too short? I've been reading the forums and it seems to be a fairly common practice.

I'm learning a lot and having a blast and I have not even tasted the first drop!! I'm going on faith and have already bought another "Selection Estate Series" kit and we're eyeing up another.

I seem to have found happiness in a bubbling primary.
smiley17.gif

Thanks all.

GrapeApe.

I usually give my kit wines at least 3 weeks to settle after stabilizing and fining. Racking isn't necessary but will not hurt either. Give the carboy a gentle rocking and you might see some fines get knocked off the sides and this also helps settle the lees.

Racking to your bottling bucket and then filling your bottles from there is perfectly fine just have everything ready so you don't leave it exposed for a prolonged period of time. If you do rack and suck up some less just put back into the carboy and top up and leave for a few more weeks to settle again.

Congrats on your progress....
smiley20.gif

As usual, Masta is on key. A lot of us do the primary bottling thing as it is much easier not to lose your siphon and just let gravity do its thing.

If you rack, you'll need to top up. Water/similar red/marbles will be needed. I run into this all the time as I like to rack off the lees until I have just a dusting on the bottom. The problem is of course that you lose some wine with each racking. As I got better I lost less, but I still lose some each racking. I am now the proud owner of a serious marble/glass ball collection 8O).

Being fairly new to wine making this is my opinion and what I did.
I racked an additional time to a clean carboy and let it sit for another week. I had to top off with about a full bottle of wine. However, when I bottled I didn't have to worry to much about disturbing the lees, as there was only a thin layer.

I've read here that the additonal racking polishes the wine and gives a shine while breathing in the glass awaiting its trip over my taste buds.

Thanks for all of the info and advice. We justfinished racking it to a 2nd carboy. As promised I needed to make up some space, so we picked up some glass marbles at the local craft store, but did not notice until we got home that it said on the label 'For decorative use only. Do not use in aquariums'. I figured that if it was not good for fish, it could not be good for wine. I don't know if there are a specific type of marble to use, but the one's we bought look as plain as the come - clear glass.

I didn't want to risk it, so dumped a $20 bottle ofMerlot in there.
smiley19.gif
It hurt, but I figured I would get it back eventually. I'm now making a Pinot Noir Merlot blend.
smiley36.gif

The plan is to let it sit for another week or so, then bottle this puppy. Our expectations are fairly low for this batch as I'veread the WE Vintner's Reserve red's are thin, but we have high hopes for the Selection Estate Series sitting in the box, so we want to get it started.

-GrapeApe

You know Ive never bought or used any marbles but thanks as If Im going
to ever get any Ill get them from a pet store now! I wonder if the ones
you bought are pourous and that would definetley be a problem!

Back