bottle cleaning / sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTINKIE

Reaction score
I tested my bottling equiptment today, the brass bottle washer that
ataches to the kitchen faucet worked great. I bought one of those
draining trees for 20 and it is great, I would have thought they would
be more money, holds 45 bottles. I just need the sanitizer that fits on
top and I'm all set!

The sanitizer is called a vinator, I think. I could not do without my bottle tree and vinator. I prewash the bottles when I get them from a restaurant and other people, then all I gotta do is squirt up in them with the K-Meta. solution in the vinator, hang them on the tree, and bottle.

I love the vinator. It really speeds up the sanitizing process when bottling. I didn't buy the bottle tree however. I just put my bottles in a dish drainer after they are sanitized. The bottle tree just looked to me like it would take up a bunch of space and would be rather difficult to clean too.
smiley21.gif

No need to clean the bottle tree, it just gets coated with either clear water or k-Meta. solution now and then. Nuttin ain't growin on that! It does take up alot of space though. One must always weigh pros and cons.

I have been looking someone had a picture with clear wine bottles with finevinewines corks in them, and they had a lip on top of the bottle, does anyone know what the name of that bottle type is?
smiley25.gif

They are called 'bartop'. The bottles you speak of are used Beringer White Zin bottles. I had to get a Portuguese benchtop corker to handle them.

I like the tiny little 187 ml screwtop bottles from Sutter Home White Merlot. Yummy little suckers and good bottles to put BB liqueur in. Edited by: Country Wine

I use them all the time for my "leftovers" and samples. If I want to give someone a good sampling of my wine, but I don't want to give a whole bottle away, I have those. For one gallon batches, I usually yield 4 big bottles (750 ml) and 4 little ones (187 ml). Works out great, and people seem to like them.

I have a place where they serve them, and they're always saving some for me.
smiley32.gif
The last time I went (about a month ago), I got about 35 of the small ones, 12 of the big ones.

But I have to warn anyone who is considering doing this:You must bring some patience with you - and a big bottle of goof-off. These little 187 bottles have these "plastic" labels that usually peel off in one pull (I've become an expert lately), but they leave behind a sticky residue that really is not very easy to get off.

It's a longer process, but I love those little bottles. And my beer bottles. Often, I like to try how some wines are aging, and this is a perfect way to do so without opening a big bottle of wine. A word of caution, though: It has been said that the amount of airspace is a factor for aging. I try to leave as little as airspaceeas possible in the smaller bottles. (gosh, I'd say a 1/4 of an inch in the 187, maybe 1/2 inch in the beer bottles)... So far, it seems to be working.

I bottled today, my wildberry schiraz, I used my bottle tree and
vinator for the first time, I'm sure these two items took most of the
work out of sanitizing the bottles, I filled a case, 12, of 750's and
15 375's, and one 1.5 gal. plastic bag that I cut a hole in a small box
to put the spout out of in the refrigerator (the bag is a wine bag)

That sounds interesting. Where did you get the plastic bag?

Do you have a picture of it?

they come 3 bags in a package for $10.50 I think, for 1 time use, spout is on them allready. the good part was bag colapses as you use it so no air on wine.

Martina, use hot water to rinse out any bottles with plastic labels, then run more very hot water into them using oven mitts if neccessary. Let the very hot water stand in them for a minute or so, then peel the label off, glue and all, while keeping the very hot water in them, maybe with lid. Edited by: Country Wine

Well it works for me everytime with the clear plastic labels. Maybe your water isn't hot enough? I have done it with several different brands.

Latest posts

Back