Bottle Cleaning Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freqflyer

Reaction score
Up to this point I have been using bottles from wine that I purchased. I always thoroughly rinsed the bottles once they were empty and then at a later date washed them with B-Brite or Oxyclean. Futhermore they all have been clear bottles so I could easily see that they are clean.

I recently have been getting bottles from friends. They are colored bottles and they generally have not be rinsed and may have dried wine in them.

I was wondering if there is a better cleaner to use to ensure that they are clean. I have a bottle brush and a faucet attachment for wine bottles.

We do the same as Cmason. But usually let them soak in oxyclean over night, we have 2 laundry tubs, one in winery so it's very easy for us. Bottles from some people have all kinds of STUFF in them, those get a SS bottle brush! Roy

I soak the bottles I get from friends in One Step and clean them out. Then I put them in the dishwasher on a regular wash & dry. Then I soak them in One Step again and let them dry on the bottle tree and then I spray a little K-Meta into them and turn them upside down in a wine box that has clean paper towels in the bottom. I'm a little ODC when it comes to clean bottles for my wine :p

Dave

I have a bottle washer (high pressure) that attaches to my laundry sink/tub. I used to use this in my beermaking days and it is great for cleaning out wine bottles and the plastic carboys. I use this in addition to the cleaners that everyone else talked about.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055RSPKK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a stainless one on ebay for the same price. The reviews on that one says it shows stainless but is actually brass

Latest posts

Back