Bottle blow up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
Gave my brother a few bottles of wine for their racing vacation. He left one of them in the truck. It was 94 outside. Probably got to 100+ in truck. The bar top cork blew off the bottle. He isn't much of a wine drinker so he wasn't sure if it was Skeeter Pee or my Catawba grape.

Is it normal for wines to blow up when they get extremely hot? I'm asking because if I ever ship a wine when it's really warm I wouldn't want it to blow up.

Ive had that happen once when I brought a few bottles to work to give to someone after work and found a cork on my back board when I got out of work. The wine just expands too much for a bottle even with a shrink capsule on it to keep it contained. luckily I had that bottle standing upright or I really would have had a mess!!!

Be thankful it wasn't an aerosol can.

Yea liquid expands when heated and when it freezes.

........ I'm asking because if I ever ship a wine when it's really warm I wouldn't want it to blow up.....

Along those lines...... I don't ship much wine, just a couple bottles to my brother in CA every year.

I seal the bottle in a Food Saver vacuum bag before I put it in the box. I'm not as afraid of heat expansion as much as a cork just working out, or rough handling breaking a bottle. At least if something lets go, it won't ruin everything else in the mail bag.

We buy Food Saver bags in a roll, so we can make them as long as we need to slip a bottle in. I've never lost a bottle but the extra insurance makes me feel better.

Tim

Thats a great idea WinePig... I will have to do that next time. I just shipped a bottle to Texas from Mass and I worried the whole time.

Latest posts

Back