WineXpert Bottle aging temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilled

Reaction score
This is my first post. But I have been reading the threads here for several weeks and the information available is amazing.
My question concerns bottle aging temperatures.

I don't have a basement and will try bottle aging my wine in an old cellar.
It is not quite completely buried, so the temperature varies some with the outside weather. During a recent cold snap here in January the temperature inside the cellar was 42 to 43 degrees Fahrenheit. I think this is as low as it is likely to get so freezing will not be a problem. I haven't checked summer temps yet but guessing it will probably get near 70 inside. Humidity stays very high, 80 to 100%.
I know this wide of a swing is not ideal. But will it create any particular problems? I may try to limit aging to 2 years if necessary.

Thanks for any information or experience you may share.

Chilled said:
This is my first post. But I have been reading the threads here for several weeks and the information available is amazing.
My question concerns bottle aging temperatures.

I don't have a basement and will try bottle aging my wine in an old cellar.
It is not quite completely buried, so the temperature varies some with the outside weather. During a recent cold snap here in January the temperature inside the cellar was 42 to 43 degrees Fahrenheit. I think this is as low as it is likely to get so freezing will not be a problem. I haven't checked summer temps yet but guessing it will probably get near 70 inside. Humidity stays very high, 80 to 100%.
I know this wide of a swing is not ideal. But will it create any particular problems? I may try to limit aging to 2 years if necessary.

Thanks for any information or experience you may share.

The temperature is not as critical as keeping the temperature stable. Get a wine refrigerator or some sort of insulated container to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Every time the temperature changes, air permeates the cork.

Thanks Novalou

I am just trying to figure out how to store the wine without moving it around.
Sounds like I may have to move it or insulate it.

Thanks for the reply.

Not many of us do have the ideal situation but I believe yours will work. When we talk of temperature fluctuations that usually means within a short period of time, like when a central HVAC system comes on and the temperature is going up and down within a few minutes or hours. Yours going from 42 to 70 is probably happening over weeks if not months. Does the temperature fluctuate during the day a lot? If so that could be a problem. The only negative I have read about the higher temperature (within reason) is that the wine will age faster. That may just mean you get to drink your reds sooner.

Thanks Thig

Thanks Thig,
Yes the temp change in there will be very gradual over a long time frame.
I'm not sure what the temperature will be in there during the summer, just guessing. It may not get that high. I just recently (3 -4 weeks ago) placed a thermometer and humidity gauge in there.
As our outside temperature went up to 70 and then down to 10 degrees F over a 3 -4 day period (very extreme) the temp in the cellar only changed a couple degrees.
I have added insulation to the inside of the ceiling, exposed corners and front wall, so that should help.

Feeling like it may be at least marginally OK. Being able to drink it sooner may not be all bad.

Thanks for the info

The temperature in your home, though somewhat higher than in the cellar, is likely more consistent, which is better for the wine. If you can't afford an expensive temperature control environment, join the club! Just do the best you can with what you have.

Wine will age quicker at higher temperatures and since it ages quicker, it might not end up as good as it would otherwise, but hey, you would have to have a very discerning palette to know the difference. Again, just do the best you can for the climate where you live.

If I were you, I'd either find a way to make the basement environment more suitable or store the wine in the house, perhaps in a closet. The lows in the basement concerns me. Try to identify a location in your basement that is less likely to get down into the 40s, maybe near a heating unit or water heater. Alternative, perhaps you can make an inexpensive insulated box for wine storage. I'd be more comfortable if the low was 50F.

I live in the Denver area and have my wine in a decent size crawl space (20x24 dirt floor). I also had big temp swings but I was able to control the temps to about +/- 8 degrees. The door to this crawl space opens into my basement. I found out when it gets too cold in there due to outside temps I open the door and basement air tends to help stabalize the cellar temperature. And when cellar temp is ideal I just close the door to keep it cool. In the summer the temp in the cellar can climb above 60 degrees so I punched a few holes in the ac vents that pass thru there to cool it a bit (dont tell the Mrs) .This works for me!

Welcome aboard....very good info on this forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas and info

Now you are getting the creative juices flowing.

I may have to run a line and put a small ceramic heater with thermostat control in the cellar during the coldest part of winter. It shouldn't take much to keep a small space 6 to 8 degrees warmer for that 2 or 3 months. I'll insulate the rest of the walls if needed.
That would be easier than moving it inside to a cool room for 3 months.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.
This forum is not only helpful and informative, but I have been impressed that with so many different opinions and tastes, it is also very civil and courteous. That says a lot about the quality of the posters here.

Again, Thanks

I would be a little worried about that humidity. How accurate is that? Have you made any measurements or just a guess. At that humidity you have a real risk of mold more than anything. Can you bring in a supply of drier (fresh air) if the humidity is coming from the house? If you live in or around the gulf coast then there is probably not much you can do but I would also try and lower the humidity down to ~50% RH range if possible along with trying to keep it no colder than 50F in the Winter.

Thanks ibglowin

I have a cheap thermometer with a humidity gauge in this cellar. So, depending on how accurate it is, the humidity stays very near 100%.
I was under the impression that high humidity was good for wine storage. Thinking the corks would not dry out and leak. Don't the wineries use caves in Europe? I'm just learning so please enlighten me.

Chilled said:
I have a cheap thermometer with a humidity gauge in this cellar. So, depending on how accurate it is, the humidity stays very near 100%.
I was under the impression that high humidity was good for wine storage. Thinking the corks would not dry out and leak. Don't the wineries use caves in Europe? I'm just learning so please enlighten me.

Unless you have good ventilation, you are susceptible to mold growth with a relative humidity above 50%.

Not that high! 50-70% max

So help me understand.
With the high humidity, does the mold start on the outside of the corks and then penetrate the cork to the wine?

Sounds like the cellar I had in mind might not be workable.
May have to modify the office room. After all, I am retired now.

Chilled said:
So help me understand.
With the high humidity, does the mold start on the outside of the corks and then penetrate the cork to the wine?

Sounds like the cellar I had in mind might not be workable.
May have to modify the office room. After all, I am retired now.

Corks breath a bit when the temperature fluctuates, so there would be a chance of contamination if you have mold growing on the outside of your corks.

OK.
So, if the mold starts on the outside end of the cork, would it be visible upon inspection?
If so, I may put a few bottles in the cellar and inspect the corks periodically to see if this would be a problem for me while keeping the other bottles in another location.

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out.

Latest posts

Back