Bottle #3 tastes like sulfer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TABITHARL

Reaction score
So on 11-13 we bottled our OB Blackberry Merlot, it was amazing (we drank a bottle just while we were bottling it)! I made it 3 days and had to try another, which tasted different, but still good. Today is day 4 and we opened bottle #3. Both my boyfriend and myself got a big aftertaste of sulfur. Its at the end, I forget the term for it.
I know it should sit for awhile before it tastes its best. I am assuming that the sulfur taste will go away. But wanted to make sure. We did add the last 1/8 tspn of metabisulfate at the end like it said. So what do yout think?

Tabitha, there are a number of things going on with your wine. One is the sulfur taste that you are getting, almost certainly coming from the k-meta you added. This will dissipate over time. The second is "bottle shock" which happens just after bottling and normally lasts for a couple weeks up to several months. Be patient, it will be fine. If the problem lasts more than 3 or 4 months, get back to us on the forum.

Last edited:
LOL, I can't help it - it tastes so good, well , unless it tastes like sulfur!!!! And thanks Rocky for the advice, will let you know.

What exactly is the bottle shock? I take it it affects the taste of the wine? On wed when I opened the 2nd bottle I def noticed a little more of that "bite" associated with alcohol.

Hey guys, I have an observation to make. On my first batch of wine RJ spagnols OB merlot I added a tiny bith of potassium metabisulfate (kmeta, right) right before bottling pretty much. We just finished up batch #2, it was Wine Expert Island mist. It did not have us add the kmeta at the end. Can someone tell me why we didn't do it with this one? On the video, I got the impression that we only added the kmeta because we added one other thing (I don't remember what). Thanks for answers. (-:

Follow the instructions that they give you and do not add extra chemicals before you bottle. I am not sure about the intructions that came with your kit, but you should be degassing stablizing atleast 2 weeks or more before you bottle. This should give it time to release some of the that sulfer smell. If you filter before you bottle thats a little extra help.

Back