BM4X4 yeast and stuff

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_end

Reaction score
My girl friend got me a Vino Italiano Barolo kit for Valentine's Day. She also did a little research and found a guy that tweaked the kit by using Medium toast oak cubes, and Lalvin BM4X4 yeast, witch she also bought me. :p The guy she found also said after aging it in a Carboy for three months it was rather good.

Any thoughts on the BM4X4 yeast, or any thoughts good or bad about the tweak?

She bought the BM4X4 off Amazon? The white powdery yeast was mailed in a white, nondescript, legal envelope. I am sure if it was mailed to a Federal Judge the courthouse would have been evacuated. :)

That was my first kit. I used BM45, as I couldn't find BM4X4 in small quantities at the time, but did the same mods you mentioned. The wine is OK, but the quality and taste are consistent with the cost, IMHO. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with a nondescript envelope of yeast though. Sounds like someone had a big tub of it and simply sold your girlfriend a teastpoon or two. MoreWine carries it.

You can look up the kit on Amazon - there are a lot of reviews on it, including one that i think your girlfriend may have read with that yeast/oak recommendation.

I've made the Chateaux Reserva kit 5 times. It is a 6.1 L, the Vino Italiano is 5.1 L. I would take it to 5 gal, maybe 5.5. I have always added skins or Zante Currants (Sunmaid), oak, sugar to get to 1.100 sg, and peptic enzyme because of the skins. I have had good luck with that Barolo. It drinks well after 3-4 months, better after a year and is a good everyday wine. You might try Joe's method of tannin and raisins in secondary. I have made it with ec-1118 and rc-212. Both were good with no discernible difference.

I am a big fan of BM4x4, gives a very fruit forward wine. I started winemaking with Vino Italian kits and used Joe's wine tweaks, at 5 gal.,will give a drinkable wine in 3-4 months ( don't expect much). I would cut back on the generic tannins or use better quality ones instead.

BM4x4 is a perfect yeast for this wine, make sure that you have Fermaid K as it will be a nutrient hog. Keep the raisins out of the wine, use a grape skin pack if needed. I would purchase a packet of BM4x4 from Morewine, The fact that it was mailed in an envelope loose should send off red flags!, first off, you don't know what it is, it isn't sanitary, and the fact that it the merchant didn't have the decency to package it and ship correctly would make me avoid this like the plague!
I agree on the generic tannins, purchase the premium tannins such as Tannin riche and tannin complex.

Back