Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kashew

Junior
Reaction score
smiley25.gif
Should or could Bentonite be added to the must to help in clarifying? I dont see it in any recipes so i wonder is there a reason it isnt.
Edited by: Kashew

You absolutely can. Why it is not in any recipes is mostly because most recipes are designed old school without the use of any fining agents or just because there are so many different agents out there that they let you be the deciding factor on which 1 you want to use. You can even add this when starting your wine to help get rid of any haze and then use a different fining agent later. welcome aboard Kashew and hope you stay awhile and tell us about your self.
Edited by: wade

Thanks Wade. I want to add it to my blueberry batch before i start it. I wish i added it to my Peach i have in the Secondary which i started last week. Any other Advice is welcomed as i would love this to be a wine to give next Christmas and everyone to go WOW when they drink a glass.. unless i drink it all first lol

Post your recipe and we'll give it a good look over. Do you use pectic enzyme? Blueberry is a wine that comes out really nice but can be a bear to ferment sometimes so I do recommend both yeat nutrient and energizer.

Edited by: wade

BlueBerry Recipe 6 Gal

18 lbs of blue berry's Frozen
little under 12 lbs of Sugar to get SG to 1.090
10 tsp of Acid blend
6 tsp of Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp of Energizer
1/2 tsp of Tannin
29 drops of Liquid Peptic Enzyme Solution 24 drops = 1/4 tsp
3 tsp of Bentonite
1/4 K- Meta

and Enough Local Natural Spring water to get me to 6 Gal but goes over when the bag is in so i might have a little more than 6 gal about to Brew..
I added about 4 and 1/2 gal of water

Waiting the 24 hours to add the Yeast Starter

Yeast Starter Made
1 and 1/4 pkg of Red Star Montrachet Yeast
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup of OJ no pulp
Dash of Energizer and Nutrient
2 tsp of Sugar
Heated to 100% F and added the Yeast

Hope this looks Good I havent added the Yeast yet as this was started about Noon Aug 27th and Waiting for the K-meta and Bentonite to do its job. Any Advice is Welcome......

Sounds good to me....

I am getting anxious to start a Blueberry wine....everyone else is having fun, seems to be the flavor of the month.

Here is my Peach in the Secondary and the New baby Blueberry just Pitched today Aug 28, 2008

20080828_203221_Blueberry.jpg

20080828_203654_Peach.jpg

Alas, the blueberries didn't do so well here this season. But I did just start a peach wine yesterday after clearing my primary of raspberries. I also have strawberries waiting in the wing. Somebody help me, I'm hooked bad!

thanks wade, Montyfox bummer that you didnt have the blueberry's I wish i got to picking Raspberries in time. I totally missed the picking season and yet i see so many people with lbs upon lbs of raspberries wish i could get some of that juice to make some wine with it. I am tring to get some Blackberries but i doubt i will get 15lbs worth to make 3 gal so i might end up with Jelly instead though i would prefer the wine.

15# of Blackberries added to an inexpensive wine kit would make a really nice wine....just a thought.

nw///berries added to most wines are a pleasant and flavorful additive,,,don,t you think,,,think of all the comdo,s one could manufacture if one was creative...............yes i agree most heartedly.................

Hmm I am still green to wine making but now when you put it like that I will def start thinking outside the box.. with that being said. Time to go pick more Blackberrys.....MMmmm BlackBerry/BlackRaspberry Merlot!!!!!

So today i check my SG and it is at 1.026 Temp 72 I cant believe how fast this Blueberry dropped... Should i pull the berries now and Rack this into the Secondary or let it sit a few more days? I only pitched the Yeast on the 28th.

in my opinion i would allow them to set a few more day s however ,every day dunk then and squeeze them to continue to get as must blueberry extruder form them/ the more up press the better it will end up.,also going totally dry isn,t quite right how much sugar did you enclude,in the mix?ilb. per gal. is rule of thumb.do you have a hydromiter,if so use it..................................................

Edited by: joeswine

If you look back in this post you can see exactly how much sugar i used and the Starting SG. it was at 1.09 with just under 12 lbs of sugar.

I would give it just a little more time to get as much Blueberry juice as you can out of them. Probably rack at a SG of 1.015 just so you have some fermentation to create a nice blanket of C02 to protect your wine in Carboy good.

Yummmm....I am envious of all these Blueberry and Blackberry wines being made...we still have some Vintners Harvest Blackberry wine in bottles....saving it for special occasions.

Hoping a friend is going to bring some Blackberries from Wisconsin at deer season, but when I said I needed about 20# of fruit the expression on his face changed.

He did say he might dig and bring some plants....I am currently looking through OnLine catalogs for extremely hardy Blackberries to order for spring.

Then...I came across some interesting articles about a Blackberry disease/disorder called Blackberry Sterility....where your plants won't produce......Anyone ever heard of that?????
smiley3.gif

Thanks Wade. Northern Winos i have not heard of that i just go out in the woods to places i knew when i was a kid and Pick till i cant pick no more..

Latest posts

Back