Blueberry wine problem.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayseedjim

Reaction score
I made a five gallon batch of blueberry wine in March, the initial SG was high at 1100. I racked it two weeks later at SG 1082. It continued to slowly ferment but stopped at SG 1060 in August. I added another yeast (K1V-1116), the same that was used initially. It slowly fermented and stopped again at SG 1040 this month. I added 3/4 TBSP yeast energizer and another K1V-1116 yesterday. Is the alcohol content too strong for this yeast to finish the wine and or am I doing something wrong ? Thanks for any feedback.
Jim

The yeast is can go up to 18%, but blueberry can be challenging to ferment and 1100 is really high for a fruit wine so it could be a combination of those things. What is the temp of the must and the room its in and have you tasted the wine?

The temp ranged from 70 for the first week, then around 60 for the remainder, Since I added the yeast yesterday and brought the temp back to 70, it has started to ferment again, so I'll see what happens in the next week . I have tasted it and it is very very sweet. Too sweet for me. I'll have to dilute it after it finishes fermenting if it doesn't tone down.

60 is very cool to ferment and barely within this yeasts tolerance. You may even want to get it closer to 75. Another option is to make another batch, that is lower in alcohol and ferment it to dry and blend them together.
VC

I agree! I have a wine that was barely fermenting at about 65. Warmed it up to a little over 70 and while it isn't rolling I can at least see something happening.

Did yoi check the acidity of this wine? That could also be a problem. Those temps are very chilly for that yeast, get the temp up around 75* and stir it up and it will probably start going again.

Alright then, I'll raise the temp to 75. The acidity is 3.46 and has been pretty consistent. I usually wait until I'm ready to bottle before I make my final acid adjustment, even though I make minor adjustments during the racking times.

TJim said:
Alright then, I'll raise the temp to 75. The acidity is 3.46 and has been pretty consistent. I usually wait until I'm ready to bottle before I make my final acid adjustment, even though I make minor adjustments during the racking times.
I make Blueberry all the time. The 3.46 has to be the Ph. Wade asked what the TA was. Did you add acid? Like what all said raise the temp!

Brewbelt to get the temp to around 72-75 deg., acid test , use pectic enzyme, nutrient and energizer? and a yeast starter would be recommended. from what I've read.

TJim said:
The temp ranged from 70 for the first week, then around 60 for the remainder, Since I added the yeast yesterday and brought the temp back to 70, it has started to ferment again, so I'll see what happens in the next week . I have tasted it and it is very very sweet. Too sweet for me. I'll have to dilute it after it finishes fermenting if it doesn't tone down.

With a SG of 1.040 it would be way to sweet and low in alcohol. Once it finishes fermenting, it will be much less sweet and may end up needing a bit of sweetening at the finish. You are on the right track with the higher temps and new starter yeast.

smiley17.gif
I warmed it up to 75 and added yeast and 3/4 TBSP yeast energizer. I now know what happened. I had it in a carboy in my garage and the outside temperature got down to 18 degrees, so I am quite sure that the temperature of the wine dropped considerably. Again, thank you all for the input.

Latest posts

Back