Blossom Ridge Vineyards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jealous!
smiley36.gif

A couple (ok, maybe 3) questions for you folks.

Bonnie Joy and I have been discussing cordon spur pruning vrs. cane pruning. In the past I have done cordonspur pruning, but this winter I am considering cane pruning our 80 vines, mostly because ofthe advantage of having newer healthier wood to replace cordons that may have been affected by diseases, pests, or winter injury.

We have Vidal, Vignoles, Traminette, Corot Noir, Marquette and Noiret on VSP and some Niagara, Concord and Frontenac Gris on TWC.

Question 1: are there any of these varieties that definitely should not be cane pruned?

I have been hoeing our vines in the past but can't keep up. I am considering weed block and mulch.

Question 2: what is the best type of mulch to use around the base of the vines that won't leach anything bad into the ground or attract insects/rodents?

I finally have a spraying regimen in place that seems to be working. I did a dormant spray this year with lime sulfur. I have followed that with Immunox at 3-week intervals. This has really done wonders for the vines. Everything I have read says I need a second fungicide to alternate with the Immunox.

Question 3: what would you suggest for the second fungicide in my arsenal? It needs to be something that can be mixed in my 3-gallon sprayer and must be readily available. Bonnie Joy would also like it to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Me? I just want it to work as well as the Immunox. And I guess I can't use Pristine because we have Noiret and they don't get along.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Chatty I will give you my two cents in a few days. I am just plain swamped right now to answer you good. Since most of it can wait until next year, I will answer ASAP.

Latest posts

Back