Blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I may be crazy (understatement) but I have a the RJS Toro (Grenache and Tempranillo) and the MM Ren Cabernet Shiraz cooking. I read that Grenache blends well with Syrah and Tempranillo blends well with Cabernet. What if I blend some of the Toro with some of the Cab/Shiraz? The Toro is rather lightly oaked but the Cab/Shiraz will have a go in the barrel for a few months. Logistically I could manage a gallon or so of each for blending and I would bench test but do y'all think it might even be worth considering?

We ought to start a thread "what's your best and worst blending experiment"

Would be interesting for sure. I don't think the Cab Sauv would "play nice" with the Grenache myself. I would just do a bench trail first (why waste a gallon) ? Just make a glass with the usual blends of each (75/25, 50/50, 25/75) and see if any of them rock your pallet. Wait at least 6-8 months so the wine will have settled down and you can actually taste the flavor profiles.

As always report back with the results!
smiley23.gif

By all means try it, but in smaller test quantities. If it works, great, if not, at least it was a learning process. IMO, it is this sort of experimentation that makes wine making such fun.

Latest posts

Back