blending to adjust ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I have a question about proper proportions when blending.

I have about 10g of strawberry wine that is measuring 3.3-3.4 ph. It's very tart. I did not check the ph of the must before fermentation. My fault.

There is enough fruit in the freezer to make about 3g of strawberry. I'm thinking I could make a higher ph wine and blend the two together for a more palatable mix. I know ph is not a straight-line measurement... so I'm a bit lost in the math.

How can I compute the target ph of my additional 3g of wine to make the entire batch about 3.6?

thanks,
Ken

You can't know!
A complex substance like wine has a certain buffer capacity depending on all the various acids and bases. You can always take a small sample of known volume and add a solution of base until you get to the desired pH (note volume added). Then you can do the cross product and use the same basic solution on the 10 gallons.

instead of experimenting with ph blending, I would do bench trials with sugar syrup on your present batch. the sugar will balance against the acid and change the ph. but taste tests at this time of wine status is best , numbers are just indicators of proper direction. final analysis is taste.

There are 2 reasons to worry about acidity. One is that you want it to be in a certain range for a good fermentation. You're past that, so on to the second reason, that of taste. What Salcoco said.

At 3.3-3.4 ph, is it a dry wine or did you back sweeten it some. I have always back sweetened my Strawberry wine and that will help offset the tartness as well as bring out the strawberry flavor more.

Back