Blending different batches???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie82

Junior
Reaction score
I am relatively new to the wine making hobby. Back in June I made a 6 gallon batch of crab apple wine. Not knowing any better I added about 12 cups of water to top up the secondary. It has been racked twice, smells great and s.g. Is .990. My concern is it will be too light bodied for my taste. Today I made another batch with 20 pounds of crabapples, 10 pounds of sultana raisans and 11 pounds of sugar. I believe this batch will be very heavy bodied. My question is.....when it is time to transfer the potent batch, can I split it into two carboys and top each carboy with the light batch I made back in June? May be a stupid question but I don't understand the scientific side of wine making yet. Please help!

If the older wine wasn't stabilized. Or you could bottle some of the wimpy stuff, bottle some of the rocket fuel, abd blend the rest.

The older batch was not stabilized. Is that just adding Camden tablets before you bottle? Thank you for your reply.

You can blend the two once fermentation is complete. Have you gotten into testing for ph and acid as of yet? If not, get a cheap titration kit and test it. TA should be between .55% and .75%. Do you know what your ABV is and/or will be? You only need to add sorbate if you are planning on backsweetening.

And welcome to winemakingtalk!

Wow thank you. Lots of useful tips. I'm not planning on back sweetening. I used my neighbors recipe and she did not back sweeten and hers tasted great. Unfortunately she has moved and I'm trying to learn. I also have a strawberry rhubarb that I added vodka to when I needed to top it and wow it smells excellent and is very clear. Just holding off bottling till I can afford a small jet filter. It has been racked 3 times over 18 weeks. Also an apricot batch on the go. I will try an acid kit, thank you again.

Latest posts

Back