Blended Honey Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartm

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a mead out of a blend of honeys. I'd like to choose some honey that has some distinctive tastes. I was thinking about a Buckwheat/Tupelo or Buckwheat/Orange blossom blend.

I would be shooting for a traditional style mead, maybe with some tea/lemon to add some tannins and acidity. Possibly some oak.

Any tips???

I would go with a Buckwheat/OB blend. The additions you want to try and especially the oak will look very well with that blend as well. I really like to use Tupelo all on its own, its just to good to blend.
VC

Well, I finally got all of my honey in ans was able to start the OB/Buckwheat mead this weekend. I added some strong Irish breakfast tea, lemon juice, and tangelo juice. The must tasted awesome!
smiley20.gif

The buckwheat honey has a strong smell and the taste was amazing. I think that was a good choice.

The O.G. was 1.080 and I used D47 yeast some I'm expecting it to come out dry. I may back-sweeten it a little before bottling.

The fermentation is already going strong.

I'm planning on using a medium-toast french oak on this as well. Any suggestions on how long to oak it?

Your taste is your guide when ever you oak your wines & meads & yes even beer. After about 3-4 weeks sample it weekly once you like the oak level, its time to rack.
VC

Well, the S.G. ia already down to 1.010 after a few days. the temp is still low, too (70-72). I added some more yeast energizer and nutrient last night to help finish it off.

I might rack this into a glass carboy this weekend to finish up the fermentation.

Back