Blend questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg

Reaction score
I have 9 different types of wine in carboys now, from kits, juice and grapes. I picked up 5 gals of Semillion from my local shop (fresh juice) a few months back. I got a good price so figured "what the heck". It's ready to bottle but this variety is a little boring on it's own. Most blend this with a Sauv-Blanc (which I have) but has anyone done anything else with this wine? Maybe even a blush.

Some folks drink Semillon on it's own. In addition to blending with Sauv Blanc, it is often blended with Chardonnay.

Steve

When blending two wines, is it needed to let the blended wine rest in the carboys before bottling. If so, how long?

In the pursuit of a homogenous mixture, letting a blend rest in its blended state is a technique that commercial wineries use. I have let a blend sit for at least a month before bottling, although I did not test against not letting the blend sit. It could be argued that the wines mix instantaneously when poured together. I'd prefer to err on the side of consistency between bottles. The choice is up to you.
- Jim

I think I will let it rest. February is a short month anyway.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back