Bleach For Sanitizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinividivici

Reaction score
I've used it for my home-brewing and lately have used it for wine making. I plan on getting a gallon jug for the sulfite brew, but until then is there any reason not to use bleach? BTW, I use just the old-fashioned unscented plain bleach in a proper solution based on volume.

Bob

I only use Natural oxygen bleach (hydrogen peroxide, which naturally degrades into oxygen and water) Around my work area.

Any problems with using this?

I only use bleach and it would only be a few drops in water if I get a used carboy and it has mold inside. I let it soak about 10 minutes then rinse it out extremely well and allow to air dry a long time, then wash out again.

Bleach will add chlorine odors to your wine.

Short answer, chlorine is believed to contribute to "corked" wine.

Ive only used it like Steve to clean a used carboy that wasnt looking very pretty inside. I got the carboy for free and it was hanging outside for some time. I wouldnt use it for anything else myself just to be sure, its just not worth ruining something that Ill spend some money and lots of time and energy on!

Short answer, NO!!!!!!!!!!

Chlorine Use in the Winery

That's a really interesting article, Mike. Fortunately, all of the bad items mentioned are non-applicable to my process. And I'm on well water, so no chlorine problem, either.

I'll stop using Clorox and will switch to campden tablets starting today when I rack my Pinot.

The consensus from all the replies has convinced me, too.

Cheers!
Bob

Get the powder to make solutions as youll need about 88 tablets to make a gallon batch of solution!!!!!!!!! It takes about 3.5 tablets to equal 1/4 tsp of powder and you need 3 tbls per gallon!!!!!!!!!!! The powder is also cheaper. Campden tablets can leave sediment behind unless to cruch it really good and dissolve it really good as the tablets consist of a filler to hold the tablets together and that filler doesnt dissolve very easily.

Get the powder to make solutions as youll need about 88 tablets to make a gallon batch of solution!!!!!!!!! It takes about 3.5 tablets to equal 1/4 tsp of powder and you need 3 tbls per gallon!!!!!!!!!!! The powder is also cheaper. Campden tablets can leave sediment behind unless to cruch it really good and dissolve it really good as the tablets consist of a filler to hold the tablets together and that filler doesnt dissolve very easily.

All I've got on hand are the tablets.

Question: I'm ready to do the second racking. The S.G. is just below .990 and the sample looked crystal clear and actually tasted pretty good. Is there any reason why I can't leave the batch in the bucket until I get the powder?

I can get the powder in a couple of days, maybe three. Doesn't seem like there's a problem waiting until then?

It will be fine if the lid is snapped down with airlock. StarSan is also a great product as is Iodophor. StarSan in its concentrated form is very caustic and can eat through your counter-top laminate as I found out, luckily in my wine room and not my kitchen!!!!! Iodophor in its concentrated will stain everything including your hoses and clothes so be careful there also. Iodophor works great but doesnt last very long once mixed though like StarSan and meta. I think its limited to like an hour while the meta and StarSan will last many months sealed. StarSan is the best product though if you are making beer also as Meta is a no-no for beer making!

Last edited:
It will be fine if the lid is snapped down with airlock.

Absolutely! It's in a plastic bucket that has a screw-down lid with gasket and an airlock. I can get the powder from a source in the area on Tuesday.

Thanks, Wade.

Back