Blasted snow shovels!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
Every year I throw away a perfectly good shovel just because the little aluminum "blade" wears off. I've searched all over but can't find a decent way to just replace the blade!!

I know they only cost $20 or so, but it really infuriates me that I'm sending 99% of the shovel to the landfill over a tiny piece of aluminum. There has to be a better way!

LOL----It's called ---"FLORIDA"!!! LOL Seriously tho I use the ones without the aluminum strip. The aluminum being so soft actually offers more friction IMHO. The right type of plastic shovels will wear on sidewalks and driveways but they do move more smoothly. Good for several years too! Like trying to find the best mousetrap,,,, or the best wine!

The Garant Yukon has an all-steel blade in several sizes. Google it. It will rust and be a bit heavier but it won't wear as easily. You must have some rough concrete to wear them out so fast.

Alternately, you could buy a strip of aluminum or steel at a hardware store or farm supply and use a bench grinder to put an edge on it, then pop-rivet it to your existing shovel.

My concrete's finish isn't the problem, I just have a lot of square footage. That, and the aluminum they use is way too thin. Its not meant to last.

My concrete's finish isn't the problem, I just have a lot of square footage. That, and the aluminum they use is way too thin. Its not meant to last.

Wow, I sure am glad I don't live in MN. I thought we got a lot of snow!!:snw

I'm a boilermaker but now I'm quite a bit north right on the south shore of Lake Michigan. We get lots of lake effect snow. Picked up another 9" today.

Jim

Jim
Ever consider throwing out the shovel and replace it with a snow blower ??

Jim

Oh I rarely use a shovel got a nice shinny Toro but James wanted to know what a shovel was so I offered.

I know you're not too far from me. 52" of snow reported for the year at ohare plus the record breaking temps that are coming back this week. Are we having fun yet?

Jim

Jim

LOL!! I have a 10 hp 2 stage 6 speed snow blower with electric start. All that does is take care of the heavy lifting. Once the bulk is gone, the shoveling starts.

I have that same shovel Wade. It is probably about 12 years old and still going strong. The metal strip wore off but it still works better than any other shovel I've tried. I do need to get another one because it has a crack down the middle. It still works better than any other shovel but weeds and crud get stuck in it.

I just thought about it and I have actually had the thing for 14yrs. I got it used from a friend that moved to Georgia. I have no idea how long they used it before we got it. I need to stop by Sears.

I got mine from work as they had about 12 in the back room besides all the ones in the shop being used. I do little favors here and there for the boss like removing trees from his yard and he throws me bones like giving me that shovel, giving me a heavy duty steel drop down attic ladder that never sold and we stopped selling them. That things used to sell for like $1700!!!! Best part of it is is when I remove the trees from his yard I use the company truck and get to keep all the wood for my wood burning stove! :db
That shovel was used and abused for many years in the shop way before I even got it!

Oh I rarely use a shovel got a nice shinny Toro but James wanted to know what a shovel was so I offered.

I know you're not too far from me. 52" of snow reported for the year at ohare plus the record breaking temps that are coming back this week. Are we having fun yet?

Jim

Yes I have been extremely exhausted this entire winter !!

I put in over 11 hours on Saturday plowing and then got asked to work a water main break afterwards.
On early Sunday morning the phone rang and we had another water main break ! I pretended I was still in a deep sleep and it was all a nightmare

I am soo looking forward to spring !!!!

Just an FYI... I run into the same problem with the shovel's blade deteriorating every couple of years. Since I bought it at Sears and the handle says "Craftsman" I bring it back to Sears and get a free replacement. I hope this policy continues!

Joe R.

I am so glad I have not had to shovel but maybe 6 times in the past 23 years,a nd very few for the 7 years before that. I have a shovel from back in my Yankee days but it hangs on the wall. I did my time for the first 18 years, from age 7 to 25, in Illinois. Don't miss it a bit. Not one.

Latest posts

Back