Blackberry Vineyard Coming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo, how many you end up planting? I am planning my "vineyard" so to say. I want to plant a few muscadines, a few Norton vines, some blueberry's, some elderberry's and some black berry's.

I want to base all my plantings on enough plants to produce 2 or 3five or sixgallon batches a year but probably more toward the 2 batches a year. I don't really see making anymore along with the kits I make plus what I read it takes up to a year to be able to enjoy some of the fruit wines. How many Black Berry plants you think a guy would need for 2-3 batches? I might plant a few more bluberry and blackberry for regular consumption though.

All of these plants grow around here so I should not have a problem withthem. The only one that will be tricky is the Norton vines. I have heard they are disease resistant and I have heard they aredisease prone. There is one vineyard here that grows themwith great success so I figure I might try a few vines and go from there. I just love Norton/Cynthiana wines. These are the only grapes I have a shot to grow here that will make a wine reminiscent of a Cab or a Merlot.

I will try to post some pics of the plot of land soon. I been working hard to clean it up. It hadn't had any maintenance in 4-5 years. We were gonna build there but have another lot so if all goes right, this acre spot will be my vineyard in a year or so. I think it is too late to plant anything this year.

SteveEdited by: smurfe

Sorry about the delay folks but I have been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest here lately. Anyway, the blackberries are in the ground and doing fine. Here are a couple of pictures of them. They are the Apache variety which is a thornless, bush typeand hopefully will be good producers. I planted a total of22 plants so far and have about 10 -12 more I can plant if i can find the time. They like a lot of sunshine so I planted in the lower part of my yard where they will get sun just about all day long.

2006-03-26_182304_blackberry1.jpg

2006-03-26_181949_blackberry2.jpg

2006-03-26_182125_blackberry3.JPG

Latest posts

Back