Blackberry---Concord/cranberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyjake

Junior
Reaction score
Started a couple batches the 18th.A 6 gallon blackberry using 8 quarts of canned juice plus a quart of canned elderberries.It is fermenting slow,down to 1.060 now.Was much slower until I added some DAP a couple days ago,don't remember needing to add nutrient to blackberry before but the first time I used canned juice,always before frozen berries.Concord/cranberry was a little odd,
used 3 gal concord juice 1 gal cranberry juice and 1 gallon of must from the blackberry which I had too much partly because the started was built to 1/2 gallon.Lemon is next if I can get a starter going

Paraphrasing Turock, lack of nutrient is the most common cause of stuck fermentations.

I have never made a wine without nutrient. It is a safety net. I can only cite my experience, but almost every wine will get to 1.010 or less within a week with step feeding of standard amount of nutrient.

I've only made a few wines without nutrient but they all capped out early and ended sickly sweet - never even bottled, but aged them in carboys and used them as a filler to mix with other wines or for hard fruit smoothies with fresh fruit and ice.

Now have 4 carboys clearing ,3 are still but still getting a bubble out of the lemon every five minutes or so.Must have gave the impression that I don't use nutrients but do use them when needed,keep both DAP and Fermade K but do use sparingly.
I am down to 5 carboys from 13 plus 17 gallon jugs.These 4 that are almost ready for the first racking will be all I will start for about 6 month's or so.Looking forward to the lemon as I haven't tried it before but made a 9 gallon batch of orange that turned out well.

Latest posts

Back