Blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
Went out today to pick berries for the first time in 6 days due to the hot temps here in Mn. and found that most of the berries that had ripened in the missed days had pretty much dried up, need rain bad. There are still a lot of green berries on the brambles but with out rain it may be a bust. To bad, it had been going really well for me, I had picked approx. 30 quarts which in weighing is about 30 pounds. This is going to be the first wild blackberry I will make in three years due to some real poor seasons. Can't wait to get it done, ppp. The first three batches I made those years ago, from 90 pounds, was probably the best wine I have made with my cranberry and elderberry very close behind. I did make some last year from a 96 oz. can of concentrate but I made the mistake of making a five gallon batch, instead of a three, and it came out very thin, almost like a skeeter pee. It's still good but very light in color and taste. It's good to have some in the freezer for now with cranberries from the marsh on the horizon in October.

Back