Black raspberry concentrate - recipe ideas???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewgrrrl

Reaction score
I'm hoping I can benefit from all of the experience here. I will have some black raspberry concentrate left over after adding some to a melomel, and I'd like to make the rest into a black raspberry wine. The original concentrate (1/2 gallon) is marketed for making 5 gallons of what I imagine would be a somewhat thin, dry wine. I'm using 1 pint of the concentrate for my melomel, so I was going to use the rest (3/4 of the original amount) to make three gallons of black raspberry wine. Also, a friend of mine gave me 60oz of Welch's 100% grape juice (white) recently, so I was going to use that for some of the liquid/sugar in the wine, with the hope that it would also add body and a more vinous quality. In addition, I have two pounds of white raisins that have been sitting around waiting for their big day, so I could use them as well...

I'd like to end up with a semi-sweet, not-too-thin but not-port black raspberry wine. My plan was to add the white grape juice to the black raspberry concentrate along with some pectic enzyme and acid blend if needed (I have an acid kit to measure it with), and then water to just over three gallons (to account for future racking losses).

I was also going to add sugar as needed, but I'm wondering what SG I should shoot for. Any opinions?

Other questions:
Is Lalvlin EC-1118 yeast okay for this wine?
What other ingredients might round out the flavor and add some body?

Any other tips on this would be helpful. I have no other information regarding the composition/sweetness of the black raspberry concentrate because the person I bought it from imports it from Canada in bulk and then re-packages it himself. I will say that I've used his concentrates before in melomels with very good results.

So.... what do you guys think?
smiley9.gif

I would go with 71B as the yeast, just my preference and I like to keep 1118 handy just in case I need a back up yeast. Do you have some black raspberry juice to back sweeten with, if not have some in reserve or perhaps you could use some cherry. Try for an SG between 1080-1090.
VC

A yeast option to consider is the Lalvin 71B-1122 which tends to bring out more of the fruity flavors and would be my choice for black raspberry with white grape juice. Adding the white raisins would add the body you are looking for and those 2 lbs might be just right for a 3 gallon batch.

Starting SG for fruit wines, I generally target 1.080 or 1.085

Let it ferment to dry and then after it's stable and clear, sweeten to the level desired. It's far to risky to try to stop a fermentation and have both residual sugar and residual yeast. Both the 11-711B and EC 1118 will tolerate a high alcohol level (14-18%) so it won't 'stop sweet' but will go to dry with either of those yeasts.

For technical 'oenological properties' the Lalvin website says:
The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete
fermentation between 15° and 30°C (59° and 86°F) that has the ability
to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. In addition to
producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature
quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so
the maturation time is further decreased.

<div align="center">

Good advice above. I would also use the 71B-1122. This sounds like it will be very nice when you are done. Being a it smaller batch than a 6, you could bring the SG to 1.090-1.095. If finished dry it would be a bit too high of %ABV. Being from Michigan I'm sure it will be cold soon. When the SG gets to 1.010 add the k-meta a bit on the strong side- like 1/4 tsp per 3 gallons and place it outside in the cold (unless it gets -10F). That should stop the fermentation pretty quick at about 1.005 - 1.008 and leave it just a bit sweet and delicious. Normally we don't suggest trying to stop a ferment, but I believe you can in Detroit in December to January. Once verified as stopped, then add the sorbate so it doesn't renew fermentation.

Good luck. Keep us filled in on it's progress.

Aha! Thanks SO MUCH on the yeast suggestion - it actually already is pretty darn cold up here (although I just bought two brew belts, they are already spoken for). The EC 1118 was my reliable standby due to the tolerance for low temps and the clean fermentation, but the 71B-1122 sounds like a perfect choice for this wine.

I've also never cold stabilized anything, so I appreciate the specifics on that, Appleman. I'm sure my garage will be able to stop anything cold in just a few weeks.

VC - I am intrigued by the thought of back-sweetening with cherry... hmmm...

I love this hobby.
smiley1.gif

Back