BLACK CURRENT WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =msgOddTableSide vAlign=top rowSpan=4><A name=65510></A>wade
Moderator Group
5_star_rating.gif

Man with a plan

Online Status: Online
</TD>
<TD =msgOddTableRow vAlign=top> Posted: Today at 8:49pm</TD></TR>
<TR =msgOddTableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top height=150>
<DIV =msg style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">Handyman, try the black currant if you havent already, I think those are the best of all the Vintners harvest bsaes. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>Wade:
I bought a bottle of Cream De Cassis which has a black current flavoring in it. It was soooo sweet I'm sure my teeth were vibrating.
I've never personally tried black current (ignorant as I am) so I have no idea what it tastes like.

What level of sweetness does the black current usually finish out at?I like my wines as sippers, 1.005 to 1.015
Will it finish out like that?

Handyman you can sweeten any wine to you own taste. I take mine to dry then stabilize it. Then using your hydrometer bringthe SG back up just before you bottle it. I actually do mine just after the second to last racking. I rack one more time a day or two before I bottle mine. I don't sweeten mine up all the way. It will sweeten up some as it ages. I use a simple syrup of 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water but I like the idea of using juice concentrate. I haven't tried that yet. There are a lot of people here that know more about this then I do.

As swill says you can make it as you like and I too ferment to dry. This wine has lot of flavor and tannins in it to keep well. If you want it a tad sweet you can either ferment it the way you have been or take it to dry. I like it dry then sweeten back with some black currant juice from our health food store. i take the juice and put it in a pot on the stove top, reduce on medium heat with no lid until its 1/3 the size as it was and let it cool. What this does is keep all the sugar and flavor but reduce its diluting size. Everyone I know that I recommended it to loves it and it is in their current always make wine.

Latest posts

Back