Black Currants trouble fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winefan2

Junior
Reaction score
Help, I am having trouble starting this fermentation. started with 2-96 oz cans vintners harvest black currants-12 lbs sugar, 5 tsp acid blend, 5 tsp yeast nutrient, 1.5 tsp pectic enzyme, 1 tsp k-meta mixed all up and fill to six gal with waterwaited 24 hrs starting sg 1.100then tossed yeast 1 pkglalvin ec-1118 it was a couple months in the frig.started DEC21 evening, nothing next day, nothing following day talked with George he said he would be open sat Th i could come by and get more yeast juice would be OK till then. did that tossed the new yeast it started real slow and is continuing real slow. what can or should i do. thanks Ron

1 tsp of k-meta is way more then what is called for, you should have only used 1/4 tsp. You are going to have to get a new yeast packet but before adding it you are going to have to splash rack a few times and stir it like crazy to got alot of that s02 out of there. I woluld make a yeast starter also and feed a cup to that starter of the must once your starter is going, wait an hour, then add another cup and wait to see if it keeps going strong, if so add that starter to your primary.

You must have followed the directions on the can.....???

Those directions are not good....
I don't have the can infront of me....but as I recall the directions are misleading...

Too much sugar, usually too much water suggested....

Then...I think they want you to mix up a Sulfite [K-Meta] Solution and use 1 tsp. of that solution...Misleading for sure.....
smiley7.gif

Good luck...Hope you get it to ferment......this is such a good wine.

That got me on 2 batches at the same time when I first started using powder form k-meta. Did you follow the directions for that or add the whole tsp? What was your beginning sg?
How-to: Yeast Starter

I looked on the instructions on the Vintner's Harvest Black Currant label...It said to add 1tsp of Sulfite Solution [Instructions for solution at bottom of recipe]

It said to add:
5 tsp powder/8 oz water
Use 1 tsp solution instead of 1 campden tablet.

It is an easy mistake to make.

Their instructions on the can aren't very good.

I am old school...Plain old campden tablets for me.
No measuring required....usually....1 per gallon
I dissolve them in a small amount of warm water.

Hope this wine takes off for you soon.
Keep us posted....

Good news, It took off after a brisk stirring last night. I just got home and it is still going strong. i messed up the math. 3.5 campden tabs=1/2 tsp kmeta I did 1 tsp my bad. I gave it another good stirring and will chk sg in the morning. my starting sg was 1.100

Great news but just want to make sure that what you posted was what you thought and not what you think! 3.5 campden tablets = 1/4 tsp.

Latest posts

Back