Black Currant (Vintner's Harvest Fruit Bases

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Red Star Pasteur Red for this and that is the best one of the Harvest bases, It is a very good product and used to make it all the time before I found a local place that sold frozen berries and bnow I have 18 of my own bushes to havest soon I hope.

I have one of these cans and I'm going to do the 3 gallon recipe. I also happen to have Pasteur red yeast!

Wade, do you usually make a dry wine with this or a sweetened one? I'm hoping to make a dry but if it's not suitable then I won't.

Make it what you want. Maybe split it up at bottling time and bottle half dry and sweeten (add sorbate) and make a sweet batch.

This is one flavor that is strong enough to be done either way. there is a ton of flavor with this particular kit and just so you know there is no actual fruit in this particular can so you wont need a fermenting bag with this one unlike most of the other cans of this stuff, it is by far my fav but havent tried the Elderberry. I made mostly sweetened but did have a glass worth dry when racking and it to was great, I really should start splitting up my batches like this and do 1/2 &1/2.

I've made the last couple batches to be sweetened, this one will be dry then!

elderberry is pretty good, IMO. can't remember how strong it was with whatever we went with (3 gal vs 5 gal). we've been lucky enough to have family that donates to our wine hobby. of course we bring some for family occasions :)

Wow, just got this one going. I'm amazed at how much sugar it takes. My last few batches have been fruit/grape concentrate mixes and did not take as much sugar. It took 7.75 lbs of sugar to get my must to 1.086! This is in a 3.75 gallon batch (more or less). The SG before adding sugar was 1.008, when I dropped the hydrometer in my first thought was - is it done already?

Black Currants smell great though, and taste pretty good too. I've had them before somewhere, can't put my finger on it though.

Last edited:
Its been a long time since Ive used one and that does seem like a lot of sugar to add for a 3.75 hgallon batch. Did you dissolve the sugar in very hot water first?

I boiled the water and let it cool a bit, but it was still pretty warm. The 3 gallon recipe on the can calls for 7lbs of sugar, so I wasn't really surprised too much, but it is definitely different than my last 4 batches.

Latest posts

Back