Black Currant started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
I thank Waldo for this one. Since I read his glowing review of Wade's Black Currant I've beenanxious to try my own. I combined a couple of recipes to come up with this so hopefully it will turn out good.
1 can Vinter's Harvest Black Currant juice
2 lbs driedblack currants
9.5 lbs sugar
4 tsp acid blend
4.5 tsp yeast nutrient
1.75 tsp pectic enzyme
5 campden tablets
Premier Cuvee

I started with 8 lbs of sugar and adjusted up 9.5 to get the SG where I wanted it. I wasn't sure what to target for SG so I did1.100. (any comments on that choice?). I took some pics, but they were corrupted for some reason. (probably due to the cough syrup induced stupor
smiley36.gif
). I'll take another one when the yeast starts working. I'm fermenting in a 6-gallon carboy. Edited by: sangwitch

sounds good sang. started my elderberry at 1.100 shooting for 13% alcohol. would like to try this one myself,keep us updated.

I started mine about 20 days ago and it's still bubbling away. I used Cotes De Blanc tho because I am hoping for a sweet finish.

I was thinking about that too Coaster, but ended up just using the cuvee. Wade told me he back sweetened his by reducing some black currant juice on the stove. I thought I might try that if I find it needs to be sweeter. I'm waiting on Wade to let me know the brand of juice. He said it was 100%.

Folks seem to be fanatic about the black currant so that's why I'm making some.

I will probably be going to the health food store this weekend. Ill let you know if I do and what brand it is.

Are you going to pumps some oxygen into the must sang...Just me but I would get it in a regular primary fermenter to get it going good. Give it plenty of breathing room. After about 3-4 days you could rack it into glass and im not saying it wont do fine like your doing.....OH OK...I'll shut up and listen then
smiley36.gif

Man, I am mad now.! All this great information and no pictures? Got to see pictures. Now this sounds like another wine I have to make. Going to have to move all the furniture out of the guest room and turn it into a winery!

Waldo, (or anyone for that matter) please don't ever hesitate to point out something you think I might be doing wrong. I'm very open to any knowledge or opinions.
smiley20.gif

I didn't give it much thought other than all three primaries were full and I didn't want to wait to get started!I'm glad I read your post before pitching. I made ayeast starter and I'm going to power stir real good before pitching tonight to try and get some oxygen in there.I alsoadded nutrient and energizer.it's a 6-gall carboy holding a 5-gal batch so the liquid is right about at the shoulder. You think it'll be all right? I have an older primary that I don't like to use any more (it's a little flimsy). I can always use that if the yeast doesn't take hold.

thanks for the input!

Hey scuba, you need to see a picture of Black Currant. Heres 1 for ya
buddy! The first one is the Black Currant. The second is the Raspberry.
The third is the mut in our 1st snow this winter.

20070118_182125_Black_Currant.jpg

20070118_182208_Raspberry.jpg

20070118_182312_Mut_in_our_firs.jpg

I finally was able to rack my black currant to secondary tonight after 11 days in the primary. I used 2 cans of VH black currant and made a 6 gallon batch. I added 12 pounds sugar in two increments. It was bubbling furiously tonight but finally down to 1.005(had been looking for 1.010). I'm actually hoping the flavor will tame down a little. The currant flavor is actually a little too far forward. I think it will ferment dry and then I can make a judgement call on whether to sweeten or not. Right now it certainly doesn't need it. This is without a doubt the best tasting wine I have made going into the secondary. It's dark enough and flavorful enough you couldn't even really taste the yeast. I had a good 6-8 ounces of it-had to make sure the secondary won't bubble over(I also took a gallon out into a jug to be sure).
smiley20.gif

It is a very strong taste isnt it? I love it. I think the next time I make it I will give it a light toasted oak!

Thanks for the pictures Wade,
We had our first snow in two years here today. only a dusting but it was snow. the crazy part was the temp was 75 here on Monday and snow today.
smiley5.gif

Wow, 11 days in the fermentor. I racked at 1.040 but it's still going. I too used two cans and enough sugar to get to 1.090. I also used two bottles of red grape concentrate.

We started growing our own bushes and got the first berries picked this
year, man does the fresh berry must every smell something good, have
high hopes for our first real berry black currant.

Crackedcork

Edited by: Cracked Cork

We have topped it off at the finish with a little Ribena which worked
nicely to finish it, and have also added some oak while again and that
really added a nice touch too. We have made it from a brand called
Looza that one of our supermarkets had in stock for a little while,
little did I know they were going to pull it off the shelves or I would
have bought all of them! Cant find it anywhere near us anymore, not
even in the hippie stores.

Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
We started growing our own bushes and got the first berries picked this year, man does the fresh berry must every smell something good, have high hopes for our first real berry black currant.

I posted in the elderberry thread about wanting to do this. Where did you get your plants from? I found some following the 'one green world' link on your site. How long did it take for you to get fruit from the plants? What type of currants are you growing?

I have been ordering various apples, Bali cherry [very hardy and hard to find], several crab apples, 3 different plums, some hardy pears and grapes from St. Lawrence Nursery in NYork someplace....they are Zone 3 and I figure if they can get the plants started there they will do good in our Zone 3 atmosphere.

I have been very happy with their plants, they take right off...

Here's the link....Copy & Paste to your browser...

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

NW,
St. Lawrence Nursery is about an hour and a half west of me in the St. Lawrence River Valley. They aren't far from Massena which has some bone chilling temps. Everybody(my older brother included) that buys from themis happy. I've never been to the nursery but have been to Potsdam many times since my oldest son went to Clarkson Univeristy there.

Back