Black Currant Con. Sorbate Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, the results are in.

1st)

I calculated the sugar density in your concentrate to be .619 g/ml

2nd)

I then found that it takes 27.5 oz sugar (by weight) per gallon to hit 1.080 by using a data table.

I then converted oz sugar/gallon into grams sugar/ml

I found that to be .205g/ml

3) Then by using a little bit of algebra and unit anylsis I said that the Starting concentration * starting volume=Desired Concentration*ending volume

.619(g/ml)*341(ml)=X(ml)*.205 (g/ml)

Solving for X your final volume will need to be 1029.65 ml Ie you need to add 688.65 ml of water to your concentrate to hit 1.080.

Would you please test and see if this works? Make sure when you measure the SG that it is WELL MIXED... VERY WELL MIXED and that its temperature is close to 60 degrees F.

If you would like more details on how I did this I would be more than glad to help.

You were almost bang on. Probably in all actuality... Exactly right.
I added 684 ml of water to bring it up to 1.080 @ 70°

Ironically that was exactly 2 cans of water as opposed to it's prescribed three cans of water for table consumption. Do you think the people at Welches had winemaking in mind?

HAHA hooray for engineering! Glad to see it worked! I doubt they had winemakers in mind but its cool that it worked out that way. Do you understand how I did what I did? Or just dont care to really know? Its fine either way of course.

Yup. I used the same equation to figure it out.

But my measuring beaker doesn't do fractions of ml very well. So I just rounded up to the closest ml then tested the SG again. I think my hydrometer is off a half a point or so.

Oh yeah, that is perfectly fine. The error in your hydrometer measurement will overtake any kind of fractional ml you decide to round up any day of the week.

Ie if it takes 1 lb of sugar to rach .020 in 1 gallon of water but you only have a quart of volume you would add .25 lbs of sugar to make your 1 quart raise up roughly .020 points..

I know the quote is an example, but...just wanted to clarify that one cup of sugar will raise SG of one gallon by 0.020...a pound will do much more.

Then the question begs.... How many cups in a pound and what type sugar and density?
One is volume and the other is mass.
I can use a cup of granulated beet sugar or a cup of coarse cane sugar. Both will weigh differently and both have considerable differences in sweetness. I find cane sugar much sweeter.
Ie. I put 3 heaping tsp of white granulated in my Tea but I only put 2 level tsp of can sugar to get an equivalent sweetness.
We need a sweetness/density converter for every brand of sugar.
But... I did notice that if you buy dextrose at a wine shop their is a SG/volume calculator printed on the label.

But all this aside. My Ribena Concentrate is bubbling along furiously. I added the dried elderberries.
Though next time I'll probably skip the Ribena and order blackcurrant concentrate online from a wine supplier.

Then the question begs.... How many cups in a pound and what type sugar and density?
One is volume and the other is mass.

One pound weighs 453.592 grams.
My notes indicate 1# granulated sugar equals 2 1/3 cup.

Last edited:
saramc said:
One pound weighs 453.592 grams.
My notes indicate 1# granulated sugar equals 2 1/3 cup.

2 1/3 cup per pound?
Do your notes indicate the SG of 1 lb of sugar. Per a certain water dilution level?

Sarmac, you are correct. That was just an example and you were right to point that out.

Jimmy,

according to this table http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp one lb of sugar raises 1 gallon of water up by around 45 points.

BTW according to google sugar has a density of 1.59 g/cm^3

This means that 1.59 grams of sugar would fill up 1 cubic cm or 1 ml.

So to skip all the nice maths that I love so much you could divide the grams of sugar you want by the density of sugar to get volume

Ie if you need 100 grams of sugar you could do this.

100g/(1.59g/ml)= 62.89 ml

I accomplished this with dimensional anylsis.. But it can also be summarized by the formula D=M/V

Last edited:
seth8530 said:
Sarmac, you are correct. That was just an example and you were right to point that out.

Jimmy,

according to this table http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp one lb of sugar raises 1 gallon of water up by around 45 points.

BTW according to google sugar has a density of 1.59 g/cm^3

This means that 1.59 grams of sugar would fill up 1 cubic cm or 1 ml.

So to skip all the nice maths that I love so much you could divide the grams of sugar you want by the density of sugar to get volume

Ie if you need 100 grams of sugar you could do this.

100g/(1.59g/ml)= 62.89 ml

I accomplished this with dimensional anylsis.. But it can also be summarized by the formula D=M/V

That's some "sweet" math.

Day 10 and I usually rack at this point. Problem is... My SG is only at 1.012. Ribena is sooooo slow.

Back