Other Big Chard Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutstix

Reaction score
My wife and I are strictly red wine drinkers. We have tried on countless occasions to learn to like white wines, but just can't do it. A lot of our friends/family are white drinkers, so it would be nice to enjoy a glass/bottle with them. Well, we went to a wine tasting (we always try several whites at every tasting we go to), and tried a bottle of Mount Eden Vineyards (CA) 2007 Chardonnay that we both liked. So...this is a big, thick, oaky Chardonnay, and I am toying with the idea of making a kit Chardonnay. I am looking for any suggestions from any chard lovers out there, what is the biggest, boldest Chardonnay kit?? Thanks in advance!
TS (mike)

RJS En Premeur austrailian Chardonnay tops my list. WE selections international Australian Chardonnay comes next

I have the RJS En Primeur Australian Chardonnay aging in a carboy right now. It's supposed to be one of the best available. I sure hope so.

Hey thanks for the replies. When I began thinking of a big bold chardonnay kit, I immediately thought of the Australian kits. That being said, I have tried a lot of Australian Chardonnays, and haven't found one I like. I noticed that the only kit chardonnay that said it had a body rating of 5, is the Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Chardonnay. The En Primeur Aussie Chard body is listed at 3. Anyone around make the CC Yakima Chard? Thanks again!
TS

I have a question for the fellows that have made Chardonnay Kits. If you are after a big oaky buttery result how do you obtain it without going through MLF? It is my understanding that kits do not use a MLF so how do you get the butter?
Malvina

Battonage is about all you can really do on a kit chard. Not the same by any means as MLF but it helps with some increased mouthfeel.

Australian style chards are going to be BIG chards, compared to other styles. If you don't like an Australian, re you sure you really like BIG chards?

Maybe what you really like is chardonnays with lots of oak? The Yakima chardonnay is not at all a BIG chard. It is lighter and more delicate than the other. (I have made both Australian styles and the CC Yakima.)

Just guessing, but maybe the Yakima with a little extra oak might be what you like.

Also just guessing that maybe the Chard you liked went through MLF. Do you know if this is true?

I always do lees aging and stirring (batonnage) on my chards. It is a whole different taste profile, which you may or may not like.

Oak can add some buttery flavor/feel, just not as much as an MLF does.

Latest posts

Back