RJ Spagnols Best Cellar Classic kits (Not Winery Series)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodWhine

Junior
Reaction score
Hi:

After reading the nice RJS reviews am going to purchase a few 15L Cellar Classic kits to build up a cellar and would like some opinions on your favorite kits. Would prefer as much body as possible but cannot afford the Winery Series. We like most wines preferably something fruity and also some with aging potential. The 3 "grande" ones(rosso, shiraz, Vieux Chateau du Roi) have body = 5, so they appeal the most initially but have not found much references on quality.

First of all, welcome to the forum! You'll learn a lot here. I'll give you my opinion. Instead of buying a few of the 15L Cellar Classic kits, I'd buy a couple of the Winery Series 16L kits. For my money the premium kits are a better product. If I invest that kind of time and money, I want the best I can get. Good Luck! :D

I agree with Flem, particularly on the red varietals. The Winery Series is really great and comes with the grape skins in most cases. Here in the states, there is about a $20 price differential ($120-130 vs. $100-110). What is it in Canada? IMHO, they are worth it.

I partially agree with Flem and Rocky...If you're going toward the 15L Cellar Classic, why not upgrade a little bit?
I've had mixed success with the 18L Winery Series (16L Juice Bag plus 2L of skins/stems). Did a WS CabSav earlier this year and it's already quite nice to drink.

But if you don't want to step up that high, then what I'd recommend are the 16L 'Cru Select' kits. I've made dozens and dozens of these and the quality is pretty consistent.

This year they've got a kit called Valpolicella Ripassa which I've found to be spectacular!

If you ever get down from Bonneyville to Red Deer, be sure to visit Valentine's...the 16L CS reds are about $90 and the Winery Series reds are about $105-$110.

I'm currently doing a winery series but I also just bought a $60 vino del vida australian shiraz. it was my first kit and I think is pretty good. Worth doing again for the price. However I did the same series VDV merlot and I am not impressed with it yet. Another one in the $100 range that I like is the WE lunna rossa. Nothing wrong with starting with a cheaper kit, just make sure to try a better one later.

GoodWhine...

Based on your post ("as much body as possible"), the Cellar Classic Grande kits are great choices.

I don't know why, but the Cellar Classic kits don't get mentioned much on the forums.

Steve

Thanks for the replies lots to think about. Great info on the prices think I can buy more kits now. Last time in Edmonton at Winning Wines prices were for reds $110 Cellar Classic, $120 Cru Select, $140 Winery Series, $155 EP so Valentine's is far cheaper and we do make treks to Calgary a few times per year.

I need to buy the owner of my LHBS a nice christmas gift then !
Cru select & Cellar classic $80
Winery series $90
Grand Cru $55
Orchard breezin $45

And at 34 kits so far for 2011 he has saved me a small fortune :re

Last edited:
I need to my the owner of my LHBS a nice christmas gift then !
Cru select & Cellar classic $80
Winery series $90
Grand Cru $55
Orchard breezin $45

And at 34 kits so far for 2011 he has saved me a small fortune :re

Those are outstanding prices, my friend! :try

This is one kid in the candy store hobby, walked out spending more than intended picked up 5 Winery Series kits as Winning Wines gives all customers one kit free if u buy four of lowest value. Still intend on picking up some of the grande reds and a few whites in the regular Classic line up from Valentine Wine in Red Deer, called there and the lady was super informative.

Australian Meritage - the gal said it was great
Super Tuscan x2 - after the reviews here
Old Vine Zinfandel - love a good commercial Zin
Rosso Bravissimo - had Hungarian Oak in a bold wine.

This is one kid in the candy store hobby, walked out spending more than intended picked up 5 Winery Series kits as Winning Wines gives all customers one kit free if u buy four of lowest value. Still intend on picking up some of the grande reds and a few whites in the regular Classic line up from Valentine Wine in Red Deer, called there and the lady was super informative.

Australian Meritage - the gal said it was great
Super Tuscan x2 - after the reviews here
Old Vine Zinfandel - love a good commercial Zin
Rosso Bravissimo - had Hungarian Oak in a bold wine.

You'll be a happy camper with those kits. Give them some aging time and they won't disappoint.

GoodWine, sounds like a great array of wines. I have made several batches of the Old Vine Zinfandel and a couple of the Super Tuscan. Both are really great. One thing that is not in the directions that I do and I recommend is to put the grape pack into the bag (rather than add the pack directly to the wine) and squeeze it daily as it floats to the top of the wine. (Make sure to sanitize your hands with k-meta solution first.) Good luck with your wines.

Will any of these specific winery series become really good at 1 year or do we need to really wait 2+ years? Does anyone know what a Rosso Bravissimo commercial equivalent type would be, perhaps a fuller bodied Italian Tuscan type?

I'm not sure about those particular kits, but I did a Winery Series, Washington Merlot and, at 11 months, it's actually pretty good. I've opened a couple of splits to sample. It should be great at 2 years. It'll be tough to wait that long---but I will for most of them.

GoodWine, I am not saying that aging does not improve wine, but I just got started back into the hobby this past January and I have already drunk a lot of the wine I made this year. I think it is really good and, unless my friends and family are patronizing me, everyone who tries it agrees. I have nothing that is a year old at this point. Many of my wines are the Winery Series so draw your own conclusions.

Store bought wines that would that would approximate a Rosso Bravissimo that I would recommend would be some of the following: Brunello di Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Nero d'Avola and Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. All of these are quite pricey (and that is why we make them!).

Great info thanks, am glad we can try at least a few bottles earlier than 2 years aging. Wow never knew how complicated those Italian regional wine standards are after looking up a few of those commercial bottles. FYI, "Rosso" means "red" in Italian, made me laugh as I thought it was some fancy wine term.

Made up the Australian Meritage and it had a 20cm x 1" round spiral oak log and two more oak chip packs, the Bravissimo has Hungarian oak cubes, and the Zin had oak powder/slivers(but no bottle labels).

Latest posts

Back