Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of strawberry wine in a carboy(Vintner's Harvest) that has been there about a month now. I have racked it once and it seems to be clearing well on it's own, but my question is should I use some Bentonite to help it clear better? Is it OK to add bentonite at this stage? I also have 1 gallon of a raspberry mead that is a month old and has been racked. Should I use bentonite to aid in clearing it or just leave it alone to clear on it's own? Thanks for any help or suggestions, John.

I would leave them alone right now - they are just babies and need time.

Worry more about clearing when bottling time approaches. If you are worried its not clear enough to bottle then about a month or two before you plan to bottle assess if you want to fine it. You have a large arsenal at your disposal then. Bentonite, Superkleer, Isinglas, gelatin, etc..... Otherwise, time should do its thing regardless of what we want

i am ambivalent about bentonite....especially early on because it drops ( in my view) important particles to the bottom early on...i would rather let these particles do their thing and they will all settle over time sooner or later anyway

not to say bentonite cant have its purpose..i would just use on a case by case basis

Back