bentonite at start?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turock,
You are saying that the reds don't need bentonite? My RJS WS OVZ came with bentonite. Had me put 4L of warm water in primary, then add it, then the juice, etc.
Thoughts?

Turock,
You are saying that the reds don't need bentonite? My RJS WS OVZ came with bentonite. Had me put 4L of warm water in primary, then add it, then the juice, etc.
Thoughts?

I am not Turock, but you should always use the bentonite in a red KIT, or a kit of any color that comes with bentonite and the instructions say to add it during fermentation.

Bentonite removes some unwanted proteins and helps keep the yeast well distributed during primary.

There is one exception. The only time I don't use bentonite for a kit wine is if I am fermenting it in an oak barrel.

I think we all get caught up in the misconception that all wines need to age for 2 to 3 years, if you take the time to use clearing agents and have a stable wine, white wines are excellent at 6 to 7 months. I had a long conversation with the winery that buys our grapes and he had me taste test a white that was 1 1/2 years old and one that was 6 months old and there was no difference, now with that said this is a commercial winery that can do things we at home can not. I do however believe the reds can benefit from time. Most of the wineries here in the Midwest release their whites in the early summer. This winery went as far as to say they do not want to get backed up more than 2 years on their whites because they will lose their crispness and freshness. I might have argued with him until I tasted his wine and saw the 1st place trophies from California, I know midwest wine taking first place in a California, who would of thought!

I see the dose is 1TBSp per 5 gallons so for 6 gallons should I just heap the measure up some and mix it with warm water like I do for the kits?

wineforfun---when working with KITS---follow their directions!! Use the bentonite if it comes with it. What I meant is that when making red grape wine from GRAPES, you don't need bentonite.

mikey--yes, that sounds good to me.

Turock,
Sounds good. I was just going off your earlier post where you said "red wines don't need bentonite". It didn't mention anything about kits.

Yeah---sorry about that. I've never worked with kits--all my experience is with grapes and fruit so when I say something, I have regular wines in mind and not kits. But I'm glad you ask me when I confuse you! We do not want you to be confused!!!!

Yeah---sorry about that. I've never worked with kits--all my experience is with grapes and fruit so when I say something, I have regular wines in mind and not kits. But I'm glad you ask me when I confuse you! We do not want you to be confused!!!!

No we don't, because I can do that to myself with no help.

I think we all get caught up in the misconception that all wines need to age for 2 to 3 years, if you take the time to use clearing agents and have a stable wine, white wines are excellent at 6 to 7 months. I had a long conversation with the winery that buys our grapes and he had me taste test a white that was 1 1/2 years old and one that was 6 months old and there was no difference, now with that said this is a commercial winery that can do things we at home can not. I do however believe the reds can benefit from time. Most of the wineries here in the Midwest release their whites in the early summer. This winery went as far as to say they do not want to get backed up more than 2 years on their whites because they will lose their crispness and freshness. I might have argued with him until I tasted his wine and saw the 1st place trophies from California, I know midwest wine taking first place in a California, who would of thought!

Aging whites longer than 6 months is an interesting topic. A lot of it has to do with how the wine is made and very much the purchasers' taste. Some white wine drinkers prefer a young, bright, crisp white; some an older smoother, mature white.

A wine made to be drank after 2 years is not going to taste as good young as a wine made specifically to be drank young.

The good winery will determine to which of these styles it is catering and make the wine accordingly. They may make both, under individual labels.

I agree with Robie. There are some whites that really lose their bloom in the bottle even after 1 year. Niagara is a good example of that. Knowing the characteristics of the grapes you work with is paramount.

The Burgundian French are noted for their agable Chardonnays. To extend aging time on Chardonnays, some Burgundian wineries will taste the Chardonnay, taste the stems, and based on how tannic the stems are, they will add some amount to the fermenter. These extra tannins will protect the wine while it ages out.

Some may even ferment Chardonnay on some of the skins for this same reason.

I like both styles. Having a quick lunch out on the patio, I prefer a nice bright, crisp Chardonnay. In the evening over a nice meal, the smoother, more mature chard goes very well.

Back