Bentonite and/or Sparkolloid: Comparative Study

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting subject since I sell calcium bentonite in my business and it is dirt cheap. It is used to clear ponds and make the water sparkle plus at large doses kills algae in ponds. It also enhances the colors in the koi fish. What I sell looks more like sparkelloid then the bentonite used in wine.
Sodium bentonite is what kitty litter is made of.

Just my 2 cents.

to further add I usually skip Bent so that I can add Pectin Enzyme for extraction to the primary. I have used Bent in the clearing of my Meads and what a job it does, Quick and compact sediment. I was glad to hear that you gave them time in the bottle before drawing you final conclusion. I knew that the tartness would diminish and the wine would come together with a little time.

Slowly stir the Hot Sparkolloid into the wine to be clarified. Sparkolloid produces very fine lees, and the lees settle out of the wine slowly. Consequently, this material should not be used less than 30 days before bottling time, or small amounts may precipitate later in the bottles. Many winemakers allow for an eight-week settling time just to be on the safe side.

http://brewersconnection.com/popup/Catalog/Sparkolloid.html

I just saw this.

I don't know how true this is, but it, to me is a good reason to prefer bentonite.

I have switched to kieselsol and chitosan (Super Klear). Sparkolloid was chosen originally for it's economic value alone. Filtering can also remove the last of the sparkolloid from your wine.

I have switched to kieselsol and chitosan (Super Klear). Sparkolloid was chosen originally for it's economic value alone. Filtering can also remove the last of the sparkolloid from your wine.

Thanks

Yeah I just read yesterday the thread where you converted.

I was just about to post that they don't sell Super Klear here but if that's (Kieselsol and) Chitosan - then the store has got it.

If filtering takes out the sparkolloid then that's problem solved in that regard.

Bumpity-Bump...

Interesting. So I recently made a double batch of Dragons Blood using blueberries only - no mixed fruit. With roughly 14 gallons of product to put in carboys, I wound up using two five gallons and a three gallon to hold it all. Remember, the contents were from the same primary fermenter (60l Speigel) and the same batch. Only the carboy sizes are different at this point.

When it came time to clear, I used three products to include Bentonite, Sparklloid, and the dual packet keiselol/chitosan. As of now all three are in the clearing stages and I have to say the Bentonite is by far the worst clearing of the group. Not only is the color considerably lighter, the particulates are just sitting there suspended even after several days. Whereas the Sparklloid and keiselol/chitosan carboys are crystal clear and ready to bottle.

I'm not sure if it's an interaction with the Bentonite and blueberries or what. But I won't be using Bentonite post fermentation with blueberries again. I had an Amazon delivery today for some more Sparklloid and I think I'm going to toss that at the Bentonite carboy this evening and see what happens.

I've always found that bentonite, while good at clearing, leaves loose fluffy sediment that is difficult to rack. Must say I prefer the Chitosan/Kielselsol option better.

Bumpity-Bump...

Interesting. So I recently made a double batch of Dragons Blood using blueberries only - no mixed fruit. With roughly 14 gallons of product to put in carboys, I wound up using two five gallons and a three gallon to hold it all. Remember, the contents were from the same primary fermenter (60l Speigel) and the same batch. Only the carboy sizes are different at this point.

When it came time to clear, I used three products to include Bentonite, Sparklloid, and the dual packet keiselol/chitosan. As of now all three are in the clearing stages and I have to say the Bentonite is by far the worst clearing of the group. Not only is the color considerably lighter, the particulates are just sitting there suspended even after several days. Whereas the Sparklloid and keiselol/chitosan carboys are crystal clear and ready to bottle.

I'm not sure if it's an interaction with the Bentonite and blueberries or what. But I won't be using Bentonite post fermentation with blueberries again. I had an Amazon delivery today for some more Sparklloid and I think I'm going to toss that at the Bentonite carboy this evening and see what happens.
Bet it clears fast when you mix the sparkaloid in. Arne.

@dangerdave just courius what your opinions on sparkloid bentonite superkleer are now after 5yrs experience and im assuming 150+ batches what have you learned in that time.........if you was to teach a newbie today how to make a batch what would you have them use

I'm curious to hear peeps experience with Sparkolloid.

Cheers!

Back