Bentonite and Oak chip question for 1 gal batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp33dymonk3y

Reaction score
Okay I am making one gallons at a time so how much light toast oak chips should I add to my primary? Also I have Bentonite which it looks like fine grade kitty litter it says 4 tsp of bentonite and 1 1/3 cup warm water for 5 gallons. Maybe 1/3 tsp of bentonite for the 1 gal? Pics are below ImageUploadedByWine Making1398197732.312104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Alright good news because I did put 1tsp, having added it to the wine yet bc I am letting it sit for 24 hours, do I add the whole 1/2 cup? Or just a tsp of the solution I have let sit for 24 hours?? Oh the bentonite is what I am talking about

The bentonite will work much better if you dissolve it completely in boiling water, let it sit overnight then stir up the slurry before you add it to the must- and mix it well after adding it to the primary.
1 tsp./gallon is fine in the primary.

Last edited:
Okay that's what I did.. But when I get home it will be 24 hours so do I pour the whole 1/3 cup of slur in the wine?

My instructions just say so many tbs to make 5 gallons.. No instructions is what I ask.. Thank you guys! Looks like mud.. Will it fall to the bottom I'm guessing?

If you are using pectic enzyme, don't add the bentonite until the 3rd day of the ferment because bentonite will inactivate the enzyme. And add the oak around the 3rd day too, because tannin can also inactivate the enzyme.

Yes--it IS mud--don't worry about how it looks. When you rack this off the primary, don't be shocked when it looks cloudy like dishwater.

Okay thank you all very very much! Enzyme is the only thing I actually have not bought yet. Could you educate this dummy on what it does? :p I use oak chips, wine yeast, yeast nutrient, acid blend if necessary , hmm seems like I'm forgetting something els I use.. Oh yeah and bentonite..

Actually today is one of my wines 3rd day on its primary fermentation.. So today would be a good day to add the bentonite? When I get home it will be 24 hours the mud has been sitting

Yes--today is a good day to add the bentonite.

What kind of wine are you making? Pectic enzyme breaks down the fruit pulp. This helps to incorporate the pulp into the wine, making it more flavorful, and also aids in clarity. Pectic enzyme is always used on fruit--and on the big pulpy grapes like concord and Niagara.

I have four different gallons going right now, two are Concord grape wine Welchs, and the other two are a fruit mix wine. Strawberry,blueberry,blackberry,and raspberry freshly squeezed by me. But the concord is the one that is on it's 3rd primary day

The mixed berry wine I am actually going to rack it by next week because it should be done fermenting by then

It would not hurt to use some pectic enzyme on the Welch's because there are some solids in the concentrate. But always use it on fruit.

So I added oak chips yesterday to all wines.. For instance the Concord grape wine is on it's 3rd day of fermenting today. How long until u can taste it? Also what does it taste like? Oh and after I do my first racking do I take them out and put new ones in?

Oaking the primary gives a difference in flavor than when you do it in the secondary. I would bulk age it up until you've racked it, and once it has some age on it you can taste it and see what you think. If it's not oaked to your liking you can always add some chips or cubes at that point. We like concord with medium french toast. It's hard to describe the flavor---earthy, I guess, is a good description. Oaked concord blends well with many other wines, too.

Latest posts

Back