Benefits of "red wine".

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friends doctor has recommended she drink red wine. (I like this doc already!) But my guess is that the doc is refering to red grape wines. So, the question is, do the benefits of red grape wine also apply to our red country wines? Triple Berry, cranberry, chokecherry, black raspberry merlot, pomegranate and others are all red. Any one have some ideas on this???

Actually our family doctor told us any red wine is good for us but for us no more than 8 oz a day because of meds we take.

I took him a bottle of our Chocolate Raspberry Port and he told us that both he and his wife loved it!

I hope this helps, I found it in the San Francisco Chronicle...
Grapes and blueberries supply antioxidants through two phytochemicals: resveratrol and flavonoids. Each fruit has both phytochemicals, but blueberries have more flavonoids, while grapes are a better source of resveratrol. Resveratrol may help keep your heart healthy by relaxing blood vessels and lowering the risk of developing blood clots. In addition to working as antioxidants, flavonoids may prevent cancer by stopping the growth of cancerous cells or by removing potential carcinogens from your body. In spite of their potential benefits, more research is needed to determine the exact effects of resveratrol and flavonoids on your health.

With fruits wines, my thought is that its not the "Red wine" articles to pay attention to, its the benefits those specific fruits contribute to your health..

As someone referenced blueberries, you'd find those benefits in a blueberry wine but not the same levels in a raspberry wine..

And then it comes down to how much fruit you used to make the wine - most of my wines, personally, are mostly-fruit with a little water.. But a recent fad here lately has been the DB-version of SP, and i dont think theres a whole lot of health benefit with the light amounts of fruit that go in batches like those.. Just my personal opinion

From what I've read, the health benefits from red wine are due to the resveratrol which comes from the grape skins. The grape skin is what gives typical red wine it's color. White wines are made from grapes that have had the skin removed before fermenting. I think that's why just saying "red" wine is healthy for you is misleading. Many red wines are made from fruits which may not have the same health benefits.

Let me relate my story: I have genetic high cholesterol. I discovered this at a health fair "stick test" booth fifteen years ago. At a time in my life when I was eating and exercising better than ever, my total bad cholesterol was almost 300 (non-fasting). I went to my doctor, and---believe it or not---after a post-fast test, it was higher! Turns out, I got high cholesterol from my Dad's side of the family (thanks, Dad!). Lucky for me, 1997 was the same year Lipitor went on sale. The doctor put me on it and in a short while, my cholesterol was down to 175---and has remained there through many blood tests for the past decade and a half. I have never had a single side effect, nor have any of my liver enzyme tests given any flags. I am a poster child for this stuff. The only issue with my doctor was that my good cholsterol could have been a bit higher. When I started taking Lipitor, I was a regular beer drinker. I was fairly young, active, and wasn't too worried about my liver. About five years ago, I asked my doctor what I could do to get my good cholesterol up, and he said, "Drink some wine!" I said, "OK!"

So, I got into drinking wine. My wife loves it, so win-win for me! We spent a while buying wine until I discovered I could make better wine much cheaper---and have fun with it as well! We have wine at our house every day---at least two glasses each evening. When welcome guests come by, we might have more. We drink a lot of Dragon Blood---naturally---but my choice after that is a good red wine. Last year, after having my blood tested, my doctor was happy to tell me that my bad cholesterol was still nicely low, and my good cholesterol had risen above normal! That means that I now have additional protection from heart disease. This was a direct result of me consuming wine!

For those who take statins, and drink wine, the FDA warning about Lipitor states, "Lipitor should be used with caution in patients who consume substantial quantities of alcohol and/or have a history of liver disease.”

I take the lowest dose of Lipitor needed to keep my LDL in check, and have my liver enzymes tested several times a year. All is well. :dg

With fruits wines, my thought is that its not the "Red wine" articles to pay attention to, its the benefits those specific fruits contribute to your health..

As someone referenced blueberries, you'd find those benefits in a blueberry wine but not the same levels in a raspberry wine..

And then it comes down to how much fruit you used to make the wine - most of my wines, personally, are mostly-fruit with a little water.. But a recent fad here lately has been the DB-version of SP, and i dont think theres a whole lot of health benefit with the light amounts of fruit that go in batches like those.. Just my personal opinion

Well I guess that depends on how much you drink also! lol

I have been very interested in the topic of wine and health for some time. I can say that all fruits have their own benefits and they are not all the same. So, yes, non-grape wines can be beneficial for different reasons. They have different nutrients that are still present in the wine.

All contain alcohol. And alcohol in moderate amounts has some health benefits. This is true whether it is from wine, beer, or liquor. In small amounts alcohol has a blood thinning effect and can lower the risk of heart disease. In the cancer arena alcohol has mixed data. Some cancers show lowered risk and some higher risk. So, I guess it really is a wash for that. All these health benefits, unfortunately, disappear if you drink too much (more than a couple servings a day).

Resveratrol has had a lot of press over the last decade or so. The science in this area is still not settled. Some studies show that reseveratrol has a beneficial affect on some enzymes involved in aging. Other studies show this is not a direct effect. Regardless the animal studies that have been done required much larger doses of resveratrol to see beneficial effects. If you were to scale that to humans and wine you would have to drink something like 500 bottles a day to get that amount of resveratrol. A company called Sirtris pharmaceuticals was created to develop resveratrol and resveratrol analogs for health applications. The company was purchased by Glaxo Smith Kline and lots of money was put in to the research. The results and trials have not panned out and they are shutting down that project.

I think the biggest benefit is the EMOTIONAL HEALTH benefit! I just feel good drinking wine and any kind of wine will have the same beneficial effect! :)

Latest posts

Back