Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks awesome Joe, the cloudy character add interest to the product! Thanks for the tutorial.

BC

That is making my mouth water just looking at it. What was the "Lucille's Touch" added to the cats wine?

Lucille's touch

LUCILLE'S TOUCH, is her privet brand, she and her equestrienne riding friends enjoy the party wines, the color of the kit finishes out that way do to the fpac.:HB

Why is it clearer in the test tube than in the bottle?
Did you add any finning agents at all? Will this wine clear more and drop sediment to the bottom of the bottle?

Last edited:
clearring or what?

what you see in the tube is the base wine before the fpac is added, look at the bottle that is the finished product with the fpac, and it is tasty. TWO:u different steps.

Sg............................

YES I DO ,THE REASON IS when I'm using a fpac I feel I need to balance the alcohol to the end product, it's smart to know that you have a good wine base in case you need to adjust anything else, you can, you control the process not the wine, it's worked for me for many years ,and it doesn't matter if it's fresh juice or anything else, that's my standard.:db

Cloudy wines

TRICKS OF THE TRADE:seREPAIRRING A WINE THAT AFTER COMPLETION WENT CLOUDY ? COLD FILTRATION ONE COURSE OF ACTION TWO MONTHS IN THE COLD IT CAME OUT NICE AND CLEEAR THE PIC SHOWS THE CHILL COMING OF THE GLASS.

Cloudy wine (1).jpg

SEDIMENT ATFTER CLEARRING.jpg

COLD FERMENTATION.jpg

SETTLING OUT.jpg

PLACING THE SEALS.jpg

REPALCING THE SEALS.jpg

THE FINISH.jpg

That's beautiful! Is there a picture of how cloudy it was to start?

Cloudy wines

NO just anger at myself and a few choice words, it was like silt but very fine and not lot but enough to make it not for me.:gb:gb:gb:gb

Remembering the differences

Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation. The technique was developed by the French chemist John Antoine Claude CHAPTAL, for whom it was named contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wines sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in capitalized wine cannot be tasted.:i

Potassium metabolic sulfate, wine, or must additive, where informed sulfur dioxide gas. This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as protective antioxidants, protecting both the color, and a delicate flavor typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate from 6 gallon bucket of must. Winemaking equipment to sanitize by sprang with a 1% solution or two tables teaspoons potassium metabolic sulfate per liter solution.:i

Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in wine. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer potassium sorbate produces sorbate acid when added to the wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is rack for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. when a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent from re-fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfate. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines, and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clearly after fining.:i

Do you remember these? Do You know how to use these? What you should do is copy this now this whole thread and post in your work. As a reference point as I do.:i.......... until it becomes memory.:i

Last edited:
Have you posted

HAVE YOU POSTED #173 joeswine
joeswine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

icon1.gif
Remembering the differences
Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation. The technique was developed by the French chemist John Antoine Claude CHAPTAL, for whom it was named contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wines sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in capitalized wine cannot be tasted.
Innocent.gif

Potassium metabolic sulfate, wine, or must additive, where informed sulfur dioxide gas. This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as protective antioxidants, protecting both the color, and a delicate flavor typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate from 6 gallon bucket of must. Winemaking equipment to sanitize by sprang with a 1% solution or two tables teaspoons potassium metabolic sulfate per liter solution.
Innocent.gif

Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in wine. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer potassium sorbate produces sorbate acid when added to the wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is rack for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. when a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent from re-fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfate. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines, and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clearly after fining.
Innocent.gif

Do you remember these? Do You know how to use these? What you should do is copy this now this whole thread and post in your work. As a reference point as I do.
Innocent.gif
.......... until it becomes memory.
Innocent.gif

Last edited by joeswine; 10-17-2013

lalvin yeast chart

Making beer is one of my biggest passions, but I like to mess around with other brewing projects when I get bored with beer though. The nice thing with brewing is a lot of the equipment is the same from beer to wine so you really don’t have to invest in a whole heck of a lot to switch between the two.
A lot of times about once a month I’ll end up making mini batches of wine or mead. Over time you get quite a few wine bottles, especially because I use 375ml bottles to bottle in. When making these smaller batches of wine or mead one of the things that I use is Lalvin yeast, which is a dry wine yeast. Unlike white labs yeast where they have so many yeast types, Lalvin has 5.
When in doubt though I always figure use a a chart, that’s why I added one below. It’s a pretty good reference guide. I elaborated on it though with my own personal experience as well as the ABV that you can get from the yeast.
RC 212
This wine yeast is really great for Red’s. This strain helps with enhancing fruit flavors. The darker the red, the better this yeast preforms.
Alcohol 12%-14%
D-47
Is great for whites. I’ve used this one with meads as well. This strain of yeast really does need appropriate nitrogen levels in order to turn out well, so make sure to add nutrient as well as energizer to it.
Alcohol 12%-14%
71B-1122
What’s kinda cool about this yeast is that it can metabolize malic acid turning it into ethenol. Now in engish, it will make acidic wines or meads, melomels (fruit meads) into more well rounded ones with out such a bite if you start off with lots of acid in it.
Alcohol 14%
K1V-1116
I typically use this one for ciders and natural fruit that are light. It works really great with stuck fermentations as well. The reason why I prefer this one with ciders and a lot of light country wines is that it is an extremely competitive yeast strain. It needs a high level of nitrogen though, so act appropreityly. Another thing about this yeast is that it keeps the fruity flavor longer then other strains.
Alcohol 16%-18%
EC-1118
This is a champagne style of yeast. It can take a wide range of fermentation temps as well (50 degrees up to 95 degrees). This is a great yeast to help restart stuck fermentations as well get a high alcohol if that’s what your going for.
Alcohol 18%
knowing your wines characteristics and profile WERE GOING TO MAKE A CABERNET SAUIGNONMY BASEMENT TEMP IS DROPPING ,IT CAME WITH EC-1118.SHOULD O CHANGE AND WHY?

Last edited:
Great post Joe. I keep that yeast chart on my wall for reference and I have just copied your "remembering the differences" and will hang that as well.

Terms to remember

40px-Edit-clear.svg.png

A carboxylate ester. R and R' denote any alkyl or aryl group

Esters are chemical compounds consisting of a carbonyl adjacent to an ether linkage. They are derived by reacting an oxoacid with a hydroxyl compound such as an alcohol or phenol.[1] Esters are usually derived from an inorganic acid or organic acid in which at least one -OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an -O-alkyl (alkoxy) group, and most commonly from carboxylic acids and alcohols. That is, esters are formed by condensing an acid with an alcohol.
Esters are ubiquitous. Most naturally occurring fats and oils (e.g. triglycerides) are the fatty acid esters of glycerol. Esters with low molecular weight are commonly used as fragrances and found in essential oils and pheromones. Phosphoesters form the backbone of DNA molecules.
SO AFTER ALLS SAID AND DONE ESTERS ARE FRAGRANCE ENHANCERS...............KEY TO WINES AROMA................:db

those are all lalvin strains....you have about 25 more strains and each strain has numerous varieties.
I wonder if when we choose yeast, we go with what we started with.
I started with red star...and still use it...
Lalvin and Redstar seems to be the most widely used by home wine makers.

Yeast and why????/

WHEN YOU THINK YEAST ,YOU SHOULD FIRST THINK OF YOUR WINES PROFILE IN TASTE AND FINISH,START WITH A PLAN!

THINKS TO THINK ABOUT
STYLE OF WINES FINISH
ADDING WOODS
TEMPERATURE OF ROOM AREA
WHAT YEAST COMPLETES THE WINE SET GOVERNING TASTE TEXTURE AND ALCOHOL BALANCE ALL THESE SHOULD PLAY A ROLE IN THE SELECTION OF YEAST AND WHAT THEY BRING TO THE GAME.

YOUR RIGHT IF WE STAY WITHIN OUR PLAYING FIELD AND JUST USE THE CHART AT HAND EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FOLLOW THIS CONVERSATION REMEMBER .

:a1 THE PLAN IS TO MAKE A CAB WITH A GRAPE PAC AT A ROOM TEMP OF AROUND 62 TO 68 DEGREES WHICH YEAST TO DO THE JOB?:a1

Back